Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 upgrade and no internet connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcicki

mcicki

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Hello,

I have just upgraded my Win XP to Win 7. I hooked up my modem.  All the lights on the modem are indicating that the modem is communicating with my PC. However, on my PC it shows I have no internet connection.

When I go to the network sharing center and click on local connection. It shows my IPv4 and IPv6 have no connectivity. I clicked on the properties button and saw that "obtain IPv4 address automatically" is already ticked. The same for IPv6. I tried unticking them and reticking them to see if it would force it to try to obtain them, but nothing.

Can anyone suggest what I do. I have a perfectly good modem, windows 7 and... NO INTERNET CONNECTION :-P I would appreciate any help you can offer me. Thankyou!

Regards,

Mcicki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mcicki

mcicki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hello,

I have an update of what I have tried.... I have opened the CMD and typed ipconfig.

My connection DNS suffix has nothing, my ipv6 and ipv4 both have entries, as does my defult gateway. I tried pinging the gateway and I was able to. So from what I understand this means that my PC is communicating with my router. So then I tried pinging a website, like www.yahoo.com and it said could not find host. So if my DNS suffix has nothing and it is not communicating with the internet does this mean it is a DNS problem and if so what do I do?  Thankyou again!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Did you install the Win 7 networking drivers?

Go Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Any yellow or red markings by any item?  If so, what is the printed description of said item?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users