Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Screen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikelivia

mikelivia

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Ok so i was playing a game and all a sudden squeres showed up and start shaking. Wasnt sure what it was restarted comp same thing. Right now there is dots and bars going up and down the screen. Lots very hard to see what im typing. Doesnt affect the computer i can still play my game just with very bad graphics. I am not good with comps as i have no idea where to start with this problem. Any help would be apprciated thank you very much.

Side note : when i start up the comp the fan makes a weird reving up sound. More than normal. Thats the only thing i notice when i start the computer. ty for help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:49 PM

also when i start the computer up in safe mode i do not havfe this problem and everything seems to be working fine.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:08 PM

Some computer fans do that on purpose. They often have a single fan on the back with a shroud over the processor. (Maybe another on the power supply) On bootup, they rev, then calm back down to a slower, quieter speed unless they are needed to dissipate more heat, and they'll speed up a bit.

But the video sounds as if you've got either a bad video card (or onboard video), or the drivers have become corrupted. When you boot into Safe Mode, your video drivers aren't loaded and you're seeing basic VGA - 640 x 480 x 16 colors. Open your Device Manager and see if there are any warnings - yellow exclamation mark or question mark. If it's a separate card, you should have a disk for the drivers so you can re-install them. If it's onboard, it would either be the motherboard disk or if a branded computer like HP or Compaq, maybe on a driver disk.

If not, give more info about the machine or the video card and we'll see what we can do to find drivers.

If the video card is separate and has its own fan, you need to open the case and see if it's working OK. Video card fans often last less than a year and it will overheat and would probably already be on its way to being toast.

If it's onboard video and it's failing, you might have to see about adding a new video card and disabling the onboard.

#4 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:14 AM

ok im new with comps so could you post maybe some steps how to check for warnings. ty

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

Open your Device Manager by pressing the Windows key and the Pause/break key at the same time. If you're using XP, choose the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button. Scroll through the list and see if there are any obvious warnings like yellow exclamation points or question marks. That would indicate a problem with a driver. In particular, you're looking for something in "sound, video and game controllers," or "Monitor." Or maybe "video adapter."

#6 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:54 PM

Ok thanks. Ill check out if there are any warning and post if there is. If not ill try and reinstall pretty sure i have a cd for that. Then if that doesnt slove it ill check it out and see if the fan is working. Guessi ve been lucky this comp is 4 years old. Im thinking by what you are saying the fan could very well be it. Thanks for the help

#7 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

ok just checked to see if any warning and there isnt. Im about to reinstall hopefully this will fix the problem.

#8 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

ok reinstall the drivers desktop looked better but still the game looked all distorted. any thing i can do ?

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

Check the game's system requirements to see if your video can handle it. Make sure your Direct X is up to date.

#10 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

yup did all that and works fine. I had played the game about two months before this even happen and it all ran smooth. Would it be easier just to reformat my computer and put a new windows xp on it ?

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

I can't help but wonder if the viddy card is on its last legs. If the drivers are good and the monitor is good, the viddy card is what's left.

#12 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:56 PM

Yes i know what you mean i have tried everything. Sat on the phone with dell and tried a lot of differnt things still nothing fixed. They said the video card is fine and those rarly go out. They belive there is a corrupt file in windows xp. My last Q could anyone help me out with a link on how to reformat my computer? A little unsure on how the whole process works. Thank you for all your help

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

Here's Dell's Repair Install.

#14 mikelivia

mikelivia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

I already tried the repair install. I meant to competly reinstall the whole thing. Wipe out everything that is on the hard drive and start all over.

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

Well, since I don't know which Dell system you have, go to this link and you can then choose the XP operating system, then the model of your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users