Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice on UK Remote Support Providers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gosser

gosser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hi All,

I'm a new member so please accept my apologies in advance if this is not posted in the right area!

I’m after the names of some established IT support providers in the UK for ‘home’ users that I can just pay a monthly fee in case either my desktop or my Wife’s laptop have any problems.

If there are any companies that you would recommend (or recommend I avoid!) it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

This sounds like what you are looking for is something similar to 'extended warranties' as sold by most leading suppliers of everything from toasters up, and are generally considered not to be good value for money !

Generally speaking, computers are fairly reliable pieces of equipment and in the event of total disaster such as your wife's laptop falling onto the tiled kitchen floor your household insurance will normally cover this.

Essentially, it is in your own hands. The downside of owning a computer is that you become the System Administrator. Good practice will avoid an awful lot of potential problems : Good anti-virus software kept up to date - there is a number of good free ones out there; anti-malware software kept up to date and run a quick scan once a week - you can get both Malwarebytes and Super-Antispyware from BC's download section; Use a bit of judgement before you click on links on web-sites and definitely in e-mails.

Perhaps most important of all, back up your data from time to time. This is the stuff you can't replace readily - work, photos, music, videos etc.. You can re-install operating systems and applications, you can even replace computers, but without repeating all your sweat, you can't re-install your work unless it's backed up. How you back it up doesn't matter - DVDs, upto 4.3 Gb; Memory sticks, upto 32/64 Gb; External hard drive - upto 1 Tb+. What you use depends on how much data you have.

Hardware problems in desktops are generally fairly easy to fix, laptops between a bit and a lot harder - but you have already found one of the best places around for problem solving.

And if you do come up with a problem that you can't resolve, try a local repair shop. They are usually quicker and cheaper than the big chains.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users