Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought new computer...antivirus question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JenMorg13

JenMorg13

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

okay, so my family uses symantec endpoint protection and just recently malwarebytes on-demand scanner ocasionally.  My SEP has been  letting malware in for months now (I am making sure to update frequently)  and in my schedule scans SEP finds nothing but tracking cookies. I have just purchased a dell inspiron model I15RM-7564SLV from bestbuy and it came with webroot secure all 6 month subscription.  Should I switch from SEP to webroot? Also, I am reading that you shouldn't have two real-time scanning AV running, but can you have two AV with the real-time scanning option of one of them turned to on-demand scanning.  I am not sure If this is possible..just thinking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus[b] program in this topic:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

If your new computer is Windows 8, be sure to read the note in regards to using a different anti-virus solution with that OS.

When done you may want to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JenMorg13

JenMorg13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus[b] program in this topic:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

If your new computer is Windows 8, be sure to read the note in regards to using a different anti-virus solution with that OS.

When done you may want to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

Hey thanks, for the reply! Interesting about the kernel mode drives...makes sense.... Right now i have only malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on-demand scanners.  I also ran a scan on Eset scanner but I uninstalled it after the scan.  I have read through your article but just wanted to reiterate....I now know only 1 real-time protection AV is to be installed but I am concluding that I can have as many on-demand scanners that I want to supplement....Is this correct?

Edited by JenMorg13, 27 August 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware on demand scanner should not cause conflicts with other stand-alone scanners or your anti-virus software. However, in some cases the anti-virus which is running in real-time may interpret the scanning activity (reading of files) as suspicious or flag (detect) removed items the stand-alone scanning has placed in its quarantine folder. Other stand-alone scanners may also flag removed items placed in another security scanner's quarantine folder. This is really nothing to be concerned about but something users should be aware of so they know what is going on when using various scanners with different types of scanning engines, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users