Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop won't boot to windows after hard shutdown

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seankobuk

seankobuk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

I did a hard shutdown when my system was running slow ( ASUS A53sv  64bit  ) and when I went to reboot I was sent to the system repair screen. I cancelled out of repair mode once and then went back to it and let it run. After about 20 hours I received a message that it had finished and I should try rebooting. I wound up back at the system repair screen again. I dl'ed a linux live boot iso ( puppy linux )and was able to mount my partitions and am moving my data to an external drive . 

I would love some assistance in determining if the drive is failing and if it is possible to get this system up and running again.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well...I have had to run System Repair a couple of times when attempting to correct boot problems (self-inflicted)...so I would try running it again.

As for determining the functional status of the hard drive...you need to visit the website of the hard drive manufacturer and download the diagnostic utility provided for its products.  Following website instructions...then run the long/extended diagnostic on the drive.

Hard shutdowns...may damage system files, preventing proper booting of the system.  One of the attempted cures after a hard shutdown of any type...is to run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Chkdsk /r, Windows 7 , Note that...when presented the options...put check marks in both boxes (Scan For and Automatically Fix), rather than just Automatically Fix.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#3 seankobuk

seankobuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi, thx for the reply. I decided to try running chkdsk /r on the C drive from the command prompt. It's been running for over 24 hrs and appears to be stuck somewhere in the 4th step. I haven't seen any change in  over 5 hours. how much longer should I let it run with no indication it is progressing? Can I stop the process?  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Well...I would not stop the process...but 5 hours is much too long and indicates (IMO) a real problem.  I can run chkdsk /r on a 2GB drive/partition and have it finish within 3 hours or less.

On the other hand...if chkdsk /r hasn't been run in a long time on the partition...it can take longer for it to go through the various stages.  It's normal for it to appear as if there is no progress in such circumstances...or even go backwards at times when indicating percent of stage completed. 

I have only stopped chkdsk /r on occasions where I knew that the drive was bad and just wanted to see if the chkdsk /r would complete or repair whatever was wrong with the file system.  In those cases, the drive had corrupted so many key Windows files that the drive would not enable booting into Windows.  I did not rely on the drive (had a replacement) and knew that reinstalling Windows was ultimately going to be my only option...so I let it run until chkdsk /r dispalys an error message that it cannot continue or repair whatever what might be wrong.

Were you successful in moving valued data files...to your external drive?

Louis

#5 seankobuk

seankobuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yes, puppy linux worked great. I usually backup often so I only had to backup some new files. I checked the laptop just now and it reads the same as it did yesterday at this time... so it's been showing the same state for over 24 hrs now.  It did find and repair several areas that had bad clusters but it stopped at 48% complete. Can I try ctrl C to stop it? How much longer should I wait? It's a 500gig drive that I have never run chk dsk on before. It's about 18 months old. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

At this point...I would just power the system down...and do a clean install only after I had run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

No point in trying to reinstall anything if the functional status of the hard drive will spoils such.

Just a word about a common misperception of many users.  Chkdsk...is a tool for checking the file system/structure, it really doesn't check the hard drive for functionality.  A hard drive problem can result in problems with the file system (since the file system is a "layer" on the hard drive and file system problems can result in all sorts of Windows problems.  Soooo...running the hard drive manufacturer's utility is more important than most people seem to believe.  The Windows "disk check" should really be called a "partition check" but I guess Microsoft that that calling it such would be too complicated for many users.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users