Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Low on Memory?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 gr0m1t

gr0m1t

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hang on, I did also download and run spybot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dovehb

dovehb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hello all,

This message is for the record and for those who still struggle with the problem of "Low Memory" on their windows 8.

I bought my ACER ASPIRE V5-431-2803 14" running windows 8 in March 2013, I also bought a licence of McAfee, and I was confident and glad of the combination.

Until last week.

I started having this problem of "Low memory" and "you should close Skype and Chrome and save data ...."

I used process explorer of sysinternals, and task manager built into windows to check the memory status.

Chrome and Skype did not seem to use that much memory, respectively 100 and 90 Mb. mcafee\mcshield.exe was taking up about the same. But I had no message about it.

I could barely have two Chrome tabs open. and using IE just turned my screen in black. I had to shut down the computer to be able to re-use it. 

I was wondering what McAfee was doing then if it was a malware that was creating this problem.

Then yesterday, McAfee suddenly started popping out messages about the fact that my level of security was good, that my computer was protected, it also popped a message about some updates. (Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to all these messages as I was focusing on preparing my shift to Linux, so mad i was about windows and my antivirus)

And then this problem of "Low memory" disappeared all together, allowing me to freely re-use my computer.

When I tried to open www.torrentz.eu, McAfee showed a web page informing it was not secure to go ahead opening the web site.

I remembered then that few days ago I had gone to that web site to find and download torrents. I clearly remember starting having the problem of low memory after I had visited that web site. I had not gone there for weeks.

Was it really it or was that just a coincidence? I am not sure.

My conclusion is that, the source of this should have been some malware (from some web site, maybe), and for some reasons McAfee was not doing its job. But after some updates, McAfee just came back to life and released my windows.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users