Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible e-mail infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Each afternoon for the last three days I've gotten 3 or 4 mail delivery failure notifications for e-mails I never sent with addresses I don't recognize (every e-mail was to a different address). My ISP, Comcast, which is also through whom I do e-mail was absolutely no help.

I've run extensive virus and malware scans the showed nothing wrong and I'm seeing no operating changes. Just these dozen e-mail notification delivery failures.

Has anyone run into something like this or have any suggestions? These dozen aside I worry that another 10,000 e-mails were sent out that I can't see.

I'm running Windows XP on a six year old 3gH computer.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

Most likely you're just being forged.  Please post one of the emails that includes the complete header of the original mail that was sent out.  Not every server returns the whole thing, so you might have to hunt through them or wait for more to come in.  Please replace any usernames visible with "username", but I do need to see the domain names on the addresses (especially yours).

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Who is your email service provider? What email client are you using -- Outlook? Thunderbird? It's possible, as MzLindyOne said, that your email address is simply being spoofed by someone else -- it's as easy as creating an email alias so the "reply to" address is something other than the actual sending address.

Or, it's possible your account has been hacked. This is a known issue with Hotmail and Yahoo in particular. Check the Sent folder to see if any emails are there that you didn't send. If push comes to shove, just change your password to something more secure -- minimum of 8 characters, utilizing upper and lower case, numbers and at least one special character, in a random order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users