Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy of a copy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Small Lady01

Small Lady01

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

I am looking for a copy of Win 7 64 bit pro. My PC hardrive crashed and I cannot find the copy I had on flash drive. I looked online and cannot find a copy w/o the product key for a reasonable price. Can anyone lead me to a copy that is safe or can someone donate to me a copy of their copy?

"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of your OEM system...seeking recovery disks.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Thеѕе аrе NOT illegal – Thеѕе аrе јυѕt thе download links fοr Windows 7 SP1 ISO whісh іѕ a retail wrap thаt offers a 30-day trial period. Yου need tο activate уουr Windows afterwards wіth a genuine license activation key tο continue using іt. Downloading thеѕе files frοm Digital River іѕ absolutely legal аnԁ completely free οf charge.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Note that if you reload an OEM installation from Retail installation media, at activation you will be notified of a license type mismatch and prompted with details of how to contact Microsoft for a manual activation code. This is a fairly simple process, the automated phone method for example takes about 5 minutes or so.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thxs you guys. It's just that I bought the recovery disks for my sony vaio and it seems to go to 75% then the computer shuts of for no reason. I bought the pc second hand from an international student it was running when I bought it but it was also written in some Asian-type language he said that he never asked for recovery disks so I had to buy them.

I tried resetting from the parition but that never seemed to work. So I swaped out the drive and tried a fresh install from the disks and the same issue ocurred 75% then shut off. I am thinking it is the fan because the laptop get extremely hot over where I am guessing is the CPU. I do not think there is a short because I have ran multiple hd tests that take long periods of time and it has never shut off.

I have contacted Sony twice and have two sets of recovery disks so far I cannot phantom both sets to be corrupted. I am just at a loss for what to do next. Right now I have a paper weight which is just plain wrong. Any advice?

"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

#6 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Have you tried using some compressed air on the intake and exhaust vents for the fan?  Since it is second hand, It may just be clogged and overheating.  You may also check to make sure the CD/DVD drive is properly seated.  Otherwise, I would try loading Windows 7 from the a new burnt ISO from the link Arachibutyrophobia provided and possibly look at using a difference CD/DVD drive as you may have one that is having connectivity and transfer issues.  Also, you may need to double check the BIOS settings but try the above more simple things first to see if that helps or not.

#7 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Will do tonight after work.

Again thxs.

Woody Allen

#8 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I took part of your advice and hooked up an external optical drive and then ran the recovery cds. It went through and completed the initial installation but when it came time for the setup installation I got an error saying that "windows could not complete installation. To install windows on this computer restart the installation" then there is an okay box so I clicked okay. Now it says "setup is starting" but nothing happens. I shut it off via the power button and when I turn it back on it still says "setup is starting" it bypasses the logo so I cannot get into anything. I cannot seem to be able to get out of this screen and the laptop does not seem to see the external optical drive.

What should I do? Have a messed up the hd somehow?

BTW there was no overheating when I used the external drive.

Woody Allen

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

In order to boot from a USB device you will have to check in the BIOS to see if USB devices are an option in the boot order.  If it is, enable it and make it the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I arranged that before loading the software. Since I cannot reach the boot menu from the current "setup is starting" screen what else are you suggesting I do? I wish I could do a screen shot so you could understand but I am cannot exit the screen even upon reboot.

Should I put in the Win 7 image or the recovery disks? How do I exit the setup screen to get to the boot menu?

Woody Allen

#11 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

In order to boot from a USB device you will have to check in the BIOS to see if USB devices are an option in the boot order.  If it is, enable it and make it the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Agreed.

#12 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I left my Win7 disk at the job (groaning) will p/u today and try it this afternoon when I get home. Wish me the best of luck.

Woody Allen

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

When you say that your hdd crashed, what exactly happened?

Can you boot into normal or safe mode?

If not, what happens when you attempt to start the computer?

What specifically do you intend to use the installation disk for?

Please post the make and model of this computer.

#14 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

It is a Sony Vaio vpccw21fx. The hd did not crash more like it refused to reformat. So I swapped the hd and started fresh (after numerous attempts). After loading the recovery disks I got from Sony it would overheat then shut down. So I took the advice of BKSeoul and used an external optical drive. It worked and I was able to load the recovery disk completely. But then I ran into a error asking me to restart the installation So I burned an ISO image of Win 7 (64) and used that to correct the error.

I am up and running so far... I am still installing drivers and such from the Sony website.

Now my computer does not see my battery (battery charging light does not even light up when ac adapter is plugged in). The battery was working up until the recovery disk initial installation which failed due to overheating. So now I am not sure if I need to buy a battery, a software issue, or if there is something wrong w/ the physical contact (where the battery connect to the laptop itself). I can see no chipped or burned parts so I am a bit annoyed.

Any insight into what I should do next?

Woody Allen

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Was this copy of Windows 7 disc that you use a Sony OEM disc?

If this was a retail copy it will not have the software which the OEM version would have which makes little things like your battery being recognized.

I don't know if you can even download the missing software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users