Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware diagnostic program

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Charley30

Charley30

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Have not visited forum in longgg time. Good to be back.

Believe I have either a defective mother board or hard drive. I read several past posts and being almost computer illiterate could not find a program. I have a dell vostro 400, xp home. I ran chkdisc but no results. my computer is very squirley.

In give a way they had a program they were giving away which I dumbly did not download which checked all of your hardware. can anyone suggest a free program I can try.

thanks in advance for anyone's help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hi Charley30,

I see that you would like to inspect if the hardware on your system is working fine. Dell Vostro 400 comes with Dell Diagnostics utility which is a hardware diagnostic program placed in the utility partition on the hard drive. If the hard drive has been replaced on the system then you can use the Dell Resource CD shipped with the system to run the Dell Diagnostics utility (F12 during startup and select CD/DVD). Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the hardware diagnostics on the computer.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics/ Boot to Utility partition, then press <Enter> to begin the hardware Diagnostics.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

#3 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for your reply.  We will try F12 again.  The last time it was strickly a boot menu and did not have the diagnostic.  I have all the original dell cd's and will also keep trying them.  A Dell tech. told me he thought a hardware problem but had no way of knowing.  He said to take it to a repair shop which being retired, simply cannot afford at this time.  I will try both of the above but I had read about a free program which would do the same thing as Dell diagnostic.  It was suppose to give you a very complete report such as the heat factor etc.  I will try both as said of the above but if anyone knows the name of the program, please let me know.  Thanks again for the courtesy of a reply.  Have a great day.

#4 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

f12 has the following:

select a boot menu

removable

floppy

hard

SATA

bootable

CDROM

utility patition

does not have diagnostic.  i have the original cd which says drivers and diagnostics.  will this inspect my hardware to determine if problem?  sorry my computer is acting so weird it is hard for me to respond but would appreicate your help.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hi

What is the exact problem with the machine ? (freezing , not booting , BSOD etc ). 

#6 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hi Charley30,

Please choose the ‘Utility Partition’ to boot the system to Dell 32 bit diagnostics and wherein you will be able to run the hardware diagnostics. Please let me know if you face any concerns.

#7 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

used f12.  booted from utility partition

no boot devise available

SATA  0  available

SATA 1   available

SATA 4   available

SATA 5   NONE

i am having numerous problems.  just crashed and reinstalled.  now in internet, i can open 1 or 2 messages and then sticks.  program not responding.  tried google maps and same thing.  will do 1 to 3 transactions and then freezes.  trying safe mode.  have run all virus programs and checked out my cable connection etc.  i hooked up another computer so know cable connection is ok.  seems my browser is ok on another computer.

thanks for your comments.  my computer was under warranty and had gold star which just expired.  they replaced the mother board in Jan. 

maybe my computer has finally given up the ghost.  have used it extensively for business and personal.  i work international company either traveling or at home.

#8 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hi Charley30,

I would suggest you to run the online Dell PC diagnostics on your system from the link below and let me know the error codes.

1.       Open the link  http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19/

2.       Select ‘Full’.

3.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

4.       Let me know the results.

Also, please use the system in safe mode and let us know how it works. To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys,  select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.

#9 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

went into safe mode.  closed all applications.  diagnostic downloaded program.  ran for 4 hours.

Gathering information

vanta

please keep this open  etc. 

insteal of full tried just to test hard drive.  again same message. 

#10 RaviAtDell

RaviAtDell

Authorized Dell Rep

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hi Charley30,

The steps provided earlier are two separate steps. I would like you to the run the Dell PC diagnostics test in the Normal mode.

Also, please use the system in safe mode and let us know how the system works.

#11 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

I lost all internet and believe my motherboard is defective.  A friend took my computer and is going to try and see if anything he can do or purchase a motherboard on e bay.  So we can close this.  I really appreciate your trying but my computer had to many problems.  Thanks again.

Charley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users