Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fresh installation BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 s_vinti

s_vinti

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Good evening everybody,

I'm new and I've landed here due to a recurrent BSOD on a new machine I've bought for my wife's family abroad, occurring approximatively once a day.

The machine is new, unfortunately bought in a mall but with good components.

With Bluescreenview I hadn't too much luck, so I'm attachiong the latest minidump and going on with the research.

Note that: Not in the latest minidump bsview told me that the problem was the driver i8042.sys (apparently mouse-related) but in all the other minidump the failing driver was always ntoskrnl.exe

I would appreciate any help given by this community!

Thanks,

Samuele

Attached File  082613-14742-01.zip   23.25KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

:welcome:  to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Thanks for providing the crash dump but only one dump file is not much helpful. More than one is necessary to get a pattern. Please follow the below steps.

:step1:  Upload all the crash dumps for analysis

Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy and  zip the entire contents of that folder and either attach it with your next reply or upload to any free file hosting site of your choice. You may have to disable UAC to copy them.

Example file hosting sites :

Post the download link to the dumps in next reply.

:step2: Speccy report about your system

Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour. This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

:step3: A Minitoolbox log

Download Minitoolbox from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply  (or upload the result.txt with dump files)

#3 s_vinti

s_vinti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Here are the other minidump files they have in the folder!

Unfortunately I can't do more on theyr pc from here!

Attached Files

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hi

All the crash dumps you uploaded shows the same STOP code - Bugcheck 101 CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check has a value of 0x00000101. This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557211(v=vs.85).aspx

This BSOD is generally caused by hardware faults than software issues.Unfortunately, it is one of the most hard to diagnose blue screen error as it won't give us any direct clue about the real culprit.   Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Make sure the system is not overheating.

Remove the CPU from it's socket and properly re-apply a good thermal compound like arctic silver. This will solve any possible overheating and contact issues at the same time. Also make sure the CPU fan is properly seated and works fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-5-3-5g-gram-Thermal-Paste-Grease-20-uses-/390343907573

:step2: Update system BIOS.

Download and update version 1102 of the BIOS from the below link. It includes several stability fixes which is essential.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX3_PLUS_R20#support_Download_30

:step3: Uninstall known problematic softwares.

Please uninstall the following softwares completely from the system.

1. Avast antivirus ( cause BSOD in some systems ).

2. Daemon tools ( well known blue screen causer in Windows 7 ).

Please use free Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

#5 s_vinti

s_vinti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately I can't substitute the termal compund since I'm not in the same location as the pc is and I cannot delegate anyone!

You think the bios update could solve the problem?

I don't think it was factory-overclocked, could it be that the problem?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi

Bugcheck 101 is caused by the CPU became hung and not responsive to clock interrupts. It could be due to overheating, overclocking, a BIOS bug, faulty CPU or in some cases driver bugs. The irony is the dumps won't give us any clues about the possible reason. So we should check for the possibilities one by one manually.

Everything except replacing thermal paste can be done without opening the case.

> To update the BIOS, use EZFlash tool which is embedded in the  motherboard firmware. The official user guide  contains detailed step by step guide. A printed copy will be available with every retail pack and PDF version can be downloaded at any time from their site. Refer the link i posted before.

> To monitor the temperature, use a tool like Core Temp which will show us the CPU thermal status from Windows.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

> Another thing to check is the compatibility between the motherboard and the memory modules used. An incompatible module can cause various issues. This can be verified by referring the Qualified Vendor List  published by Asus.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX3_PLUS_R20#support_QVL

>  Entering the BIOS and loading optimized defaults will clear any accidental frequency or voltage changes.

A vanilla Win 7 install will rule out any possible driver issues. That is re-install Windows 7 from scratch and run the system without installing any drivers or software. If it is stable, add the drivers one by one and check if any of them cause the crash.

BTW, a failing CPU is the most common reason behind this specific stop error.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 27 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#7 s_vinti

s_vinti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi, I've tried the "lighter" solution now.

At 13 o'clock approx I've remotely removed both Avast and Daemon Tools, which I've installed lately.

Since that, I've asked to stress the machine as it was yesterday evening (when wevent occurred 3 tiems in 1 or 2 hours maximum), different videos were streamed from Youtube, skype was on and working (chat only), logmein active (me on the other side) and I've converted 600 pdf pages in open office excel.

No crashes for now and it is in use as I'm writing.

Could that be the problem? In that case, which (possibly free) antivirus shall I use ? Avg maybe?

Thanks again for Your great help!

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi

For antivirus solution, i suggest Microsoft Security Essentials with the combination of Free Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner. 

MSE : http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

MBAM : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

While installing MBAM , skip the option to start free trail of PRO edition. We only need the free on-demand scanner. Make sure to scan with both programs once in a week ( one by one ) . This combination is far better than AVG and Avast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users