Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 problems: password and switch user at log on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcoy

dcoy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

My son has an Acer notebook Vista, which he stopped using since he took over my mac.

1. He has forgotten password. 

2. There does seem to be an option to switch user to try and access the system.

For the forgotten password problem, I have tried to use Ophcrack. It seems to have found passwords for three users, but none of these three users are what is the name showing up to log on.

Ophcrack found "passwords" for three accounts:

*disabled* Administrator

*disabled* Guest

Bobguy

I used "passwords" because after each user name a get a string of alpha-numeric characters.

Most important, the user name shown at the log on screen is NOT one of these three.

Any help on this?

I get no option to switch users.

Help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

• This is a utility to reset the password of any user that has a valid local account on your Windows system.
  • Supports all Windows from NT3.5 to Win7, also 64 bit and also the Server versions (like 2003 and 2008)
  • You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
  • It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a CD or USB disk to do the password reset.
  • Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
  • There is also a registry editor and other registry utilities that works under linux/unix, and can be used for other things than password editing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dcoy

dcoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Me again.

I'm thinking my son locked the computer last time he shut down and that is why I am not getting any option to switch users. Will the Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor get passed this problem?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Only one way to find out unless your son can tell you what he used to 'lock' the computer beyond

the admin password.

Maybe something in the bios.

I would get the password first and then go from there. Resetting the bios battery in that Acer can be

tricky for someone not use to disassembling a laptop.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users