Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linus Torvalds celebrates 22 years of Linux with nostalgic message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Linus Torvalds celebrates 22 years of Linux with nostalgic message | PCWorld

........It was 22 years ago on Sunday that Linus Torvalds announced in a newsgroup posting that he was creating a free operating system, a message he echoed in his announcement Sunday of the latest Linux kernel release candidate.

"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones," Torvalds wrote on August 26, 1991, asking people to send in feature requests.

On Sunday, Torvalds announced the Linux 3.11-rc7 kernel release in similar fashion.................................

mask-linus_torvalds.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

this is really quite awesome. Thx for posting this here :)

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

This brings me back...

Back in the day when a small group of friends would get together and brain storm over BBS stuff and all the cool features that Linux offered vs DOS. Cigarette smoke thick in the air, we smoked back then. PC's hooked up all over the house as friends brought them over and we networked them together with my wife giving me the evil eye....

The gold old days.  ;c)

Thanks for the smile!

#4 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

EDIT...image too small...

Edited by buddy215, 27 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

"not so big or professional"

lol. I wish I could travel in time and show how much big Linux is...well...certainly,since the release of Windows 8,some people will switch to Ubuntu or Linux-Mint (as i did,I switched back to Windows 7,though.)

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hi @buddy215. IDK if you tried to post another image but the one in the OP is really great.

That was really funny what he said, "Just a hobby...."

wow. amazing.

#7 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hi @buddy215. IDK if you tried to post another image but the one in the OP is really great.

That was really funny what he said, "Just a hobby...."

wow. amazing.

Linux,still,isn't that big,it's still smaller than Micro$oft and Apple,since its children Ubuntu is more popular than its parent itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users