Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC froze and now my Razer BlackWidow won't turn on/connect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AtomicPanda82

AtomicPanda82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Last night, my PC froze up while I was doing homework online. When I restarted manually because I couldn't get into Task Manager, my Razer BlackWidow (2012 edition, I believe) just... stopped working. The blue lights on the logo at the bottom and numlock indicator went off, and none of the keys worked. I let the PC time out to normal boot, and then tried restarting again using the on-screen buttons. That didn't help, either. I plugged in the OEM keyboard that came with my PC, and that one worked just fine. For the record, I did NOT make any system changes whatsoever prior to this happening and I didn't install or uninstall anything. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

I realized the "function" key was stuck on my BlackWidow, so I removed the key cap and tried cleaning it out to make sure it wasn't just that. That didn't work either. After that, I tried to google the problem. The only thing I found was a video telling you to unplug the keyboard, hold down the "function" key, and plug it in again while holding the key down. This was supposed to force it into boot mode or something. Again, no luck with that either.

Then I tried reinstalling Razer Synapse 2.0 (I always keep my firmware up-to-date, so that wasn't the issue). After those reinstalled, I attempted to plug my BlackWidow in again. Still nothing, although my PC did make the sound of a USB device being plugged in... so my PC knows that something is being plugged in when I plug the BlackWidow in; the keyboard just is not "turning on".

I tried gently cleaning out the USB plugs on both the keyboard itself and my computer. I switched the keyboard into every USB port I have. I even tried plugging my mouse into the port that the keyboard didn't work in, and the mouse turned on just fine plugged into that port.

I can't think of anything else to do, and I'm not having much luck googling the problem. All I can seem to find are issues with it not being detected after a firmware update. As far as I know, there was no firmware update immediately prior to this (although I do have it set to update automatically, and Synapse 2.0 was running, so I guess it's possible).

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this, or is my keyboard just shot? :(  I take good care of my stuff, I never spilled anything on it, etc.. so I have no idea why it would just stop working like that. I'm also confused because it seemed directly related to my PC freezing up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi,

If the keyboard is under warranty I'd be contacting the vendor to see about a replacement.

As to why it failed the way it did I won't even try to guess. There are too many little bits, bytes and pieces that can fail for me to be lucky enough to pick the correct one.

If the keyboard is no longer under warranty the the standard keyboard sounds like a good replacement.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 AtomicPanda82

AtomicPanda82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hi,

If the keyboard is under warranty I'd be contacting the vendor to see about a replacement.

As to why it failed the way it did I won't even try to guess. There are too many little bits, bytes and pieces that can fail for me to be lucky enough to pick the correct one.

If the keyboard is no longer under warranty the the standard keyboard sounds like a good replacement.

Keep us posted

That's what I was afraid of, but just wanted to check to make sure it wasn't some weird mode I might've accidentally sent it into or something. It is under warranty, but they require a receipt and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a copy from the store I bought it from. Looking into Ducky Shine 2 or CM Storm keyboards as replacements; this happened right after my Razer mouse started double-clicking, so needless to say I'm not very happy with their products at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users