Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Firefox Favourites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rougehott

Rougehott

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

Hi there,

Can someone please tell me how to backup my firefox favourites? Also, please tell me how I would load them back in if I needed to.

Thanks,

Lauren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:56 PM

This is about the most all-in-one complete tutorial I've found dealing with
Firefox bookmarks.

Firefox Help - Tutorials: Bookmarks

Specifically, items #5 & #6 for backups.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

There is an extension for Firefox available called FEBE (Firefox Extension Backup Extension)

It makes a backup of your extensions, bookmarks, themes, preferences and cookies, all optional of course. You specify where the backups go, which is very handy. It also makes a nice list in the form of an HTML page. It's a great tool to have if you ever have to reinstall Firefox.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:09 AM

Could you just use the Export option in the Manage Bookmarks>Files>Export? Download to floppy, flash drive, or personal webspace. Burn it to CD\DVD?
I upload to my webspace, so any computer I am on I can have my Bookmarks. Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

I upload to my webspace, so any computer I am on I can have my Bookmarks. Just a thought.

Acklan,

I am curious, do you put them in an XML file? I have thought about doing this for awhile, but just never but around to it. Companies like sync2it allow you to store an XML file on their servers that update your bookmarks and sync them with Firefox, IE, Opera and others, and I was wondering if it was possible to just do this myself using my webspace. Any thoughts?

Also, just to add to the post topic, I have been using Portable Firefox on a 32MB flash drive (about $8.00), which I take everywhere I go so I have my Bookmarks, extensions, and most of my home versions settings available on other PC's. The new version is more stable than previous versions, and so far, all the extensions I have installed work.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

I just export to a file then upload via FTP. When I need them I download the file and install (import) via FTP. I have never tried to make them interactive over the internet. I would belive you could map a drive and use them in their current form. The only differnce would be where they are stored, WAN verse local.

#7 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:20 AM

Hi Acklan
When I added a laptop to the collection of computers here at home, I did as you do, (manage bookmarks>export) but saved the exported files as HTML and emailed them to myself. (I don't have webspace as such). I was then able to import them into FF without any problems.

There is also a FF extension called MozBackup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ which backs up FF favourites, history, preferences etc, and also backs up Thunderbird mail. It does, however, warn that backing up extensions is not very satisfactory.

The FF extension which lists extensions is Infolister http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=786 which can be customised and uploaded to your web space as required.

Hope this is helpful

Luci2a

Edited by luci2a, 25 April 2006 - 02:22 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:26 AM

That is good information to know. I am glad it is work out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users