Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when using Bittorrent with Teredo enabled

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 avi1708

avi1708

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

hi this is my first post here.

since around 8th this month my system crashes with bsod whenever bittorret is running for a while. turning off teredo via command prompt seems to have solved the problem, but I am flummoxed as to why would this problem occur out of nowhere in the first place.

the only reason I can think of is me installing and running windows assessment kit, which crashed the system promptly and I had to do a startup repair/system restore. ( :smash: ...I further botched it up by getting impatient and panicky and force rebooting midway during the process, but it booted up fine anyway.)

i'm attaching my last crash minidump. any comments on this problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't no if I even need teredo but i'd rather have it back anyway.

thanks again. I hope you guys can help.

Attached File  082513-22791-01.zip   29.68KB   1 downloads

p.s my system is clean and drivers are all latest and my laptop is only about six months old so I dun think its a hardware problem.

Edited by avi1708, 26 August 2013 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Your issue seems to be probably caused by Kaspersky Antivirus kernel mode drivers. Please try the below steps.

Uninstall Kaspersky for testing.

While uninstalling, choose the option to keep activation data.

3341_4(en)13-128472.jpg

Now check how the system works. If it works fine, do not re-install Kaspersky but post a reply here.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 August 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#3 avi1708

avi1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:36 AM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Your issue seems to be probably caused by Kaspersky Antivirus kernel mode drivers. Please try the below steps.

Uninstall Kaspersky for testing.

While uninstalling, choose the option to keep activation data.

3341_4(en)13-128472.jpg

Now check how the system works. If it works fine, do not re-install Kaspersky but post a reply here.

well uninstalling KIS was one of the first things I did. still got bsod.. :mellow: should I try again?

Edited by avi1708, 28 August 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi

Kaspersky kernel mode drivers are still present in your system. Please use the official Kaspersky removal tool from the below link.

http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/consumerutilities/kavremover.zip

It will help you cleaning the remnants properly. If the BSOD continues, upload at least 3 new dumps for inspection.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 28 August 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#5 avi1708

avi1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

yes they r cz I reinstalled it wen bsod didn't stop. but since ur insisting i'll do it again n get back with u. thanks! :thumbsup2:

Edited by avi1708, 28 August 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi

it is a standard troubleshooting procedure to remove third party firewalls and network associated drivers for testing. Removing Kaspersky will ease our troubleshooting. Once the issue is solved we can re-install the latest version which can be downloaded from their site. Also please revert any changes you made to the services or registry to their default values. 

When next time you upload the crash dumps, please provide a system information report also.

1. Open RUN dialogue by pressing Windows key + R together.

2. Enter Msinfo32 in it to open Microsoft system information utility.

3. Choose File --> Save and give the name "Msinfo". Attach it with your next reply.  

If your upload limit is reached, use a free file sharing site like http://www.mediafire.com/ or https://www.box.com/.

#7 avi1708

avi1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

ok so I wiped away KIS, reset teredo, and ran bittorrent till system crashed. twice. I've attached the dump files and the system info.

thanks again for helping.

Attached Files

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi

Thanks for uploading the requested info. I will report back to you after a thorough inspection.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi

I did an inspection of all the loaded drivers in your system and i saw only two possibilities as the reason behind the crashes. It could be either a buggy network interface driver or a network filter driver which will be the reason behind the crashes. Please try the below steps.

:step1: Update Network drivers.

1. Uninstall both Realtek LAN driver and Intel PRO Wireless driver from your system completely.

2. Download and install the latest drivers from the below link.

LAN : http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Download and run Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program 7.073.

WLAN : http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/wireless

Install the driver update found by the update utility.

:step2: Uninstall Networx.

Networx is well known to crash Windows. In the past week, i have seen two similar issues like yours which are caused by Networx. Please uninstall it completely from the system. Kernel mode drivers used by this program is my primary suspect in your case.

Report how the system works after uninstalling Networx and updating drivers.

#10 avi1708

avi1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

thing is I use an usb data card. the network cards have never been used for internet. are you sure I should update them regardless?

and I did uninstall networkx for testing (using iobit uninstaller and scanned for leftovers), and the system was still crashing. :mellow: I kinda need it for accurately tracking my net usage.

is it possible that teredo just needs to be configured? there's this window that comes up when I select "install ipv6/teredo" in bittorrent settings page. just wondering if might have anything to do with this.. as I mentioned everything is running perfectly fine with it disabled.

...i'm beginning to convince myself this teredo thingy is just overrated n i'm better off without it. :wacko:

Edited by avi1708, 29 August 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi

In the last dumps, there is Networx drivers in the loaded modules list and that is why i asked you to remove it. There is no other network related drivers are present in your system. Other thing you should try is to disable IPv6.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/personal-tech/desktop-operating-systems/how-to-disable-ipv6-on-windows-7/231400022

IPv6 not a needed feature now and sometime problamatic.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 August 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#12 avi1708

avi1708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:15 AM

yes I think i'll do that....

thanks so much for your help. this has to be the best forum I've been in. :thumbup2:

Edited by avi1708, 30 August 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hi

Make sure to disable IPv6 on all network connections shown in the network center. Also, there is a Windows 7 patch available which fix some bugs in the tcpip.sys code. Check whether this hotfix is applicable to your system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719347

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users