Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which HDD should I buy ? WD or Seagate...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MehrozeGillani

MehrozeGillani

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hey guys, I need to buy a new internal Hard drive, I currently have a western digital hard drive with 80 GB of storage (Which you all know, is literally of no use and worth nowadays). I've been using it for 10 years, And it's been running perfect, I just recently upgrades my whole PC but I didn't have enough cash to change the hard drive, Now that I do, I have to replace it and I wanted an opinion on which one to get.

The options are:

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive 64MB Cache Caviar Green

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=939&language=1

------ OR ------

Seagate 1TB 3.5" Sata Hard Drive 64MB Cache

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/desktop-hdd/?sku=ST1000DM003

---------

My motherboard: ASUS P7H55 - MLX

Reading user reviews on both of the hard drives all over the internet, many have given them a 5/5 while many others have said that they have a very high failure rate, and that they do not last long at all, which is something I'm concerned about, Please help me out and tell me which one is more reliable, I don't want to pay for something that won't do me any good, Thanks guys, Waiting on your replies  :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Honestly I would go with whichever is cheaper.

I have had both Seagate and WD in the past and found basically no performance differences.

You don't really need a 6GB/s with that motherboard since it only supports 3 but a 6 will still work on there, just a heads up.

#3 MehrozeGillani

MehrozeGillani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

You don't really need a 6GB/s with that motherboard since it only supports 3 but a 6 will still work on there, just a heads up.

You lost me there, What does it not support ? 

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have a mix of internal drive brands. They all seem to be a reliable.

Part of the problem with the Internet reviews being all over the place comes down to the way they are packed for shipping. A poorly packed drive can be damaged in shipping.

I have seen many reports of drives being packed in such a manner that they are literally bouncing around inside the shipping  box.

I buy from a large Online vendor. the reviews there are all over the place for drives with many reporting poor packaging and DOA drives. DOA is short for "Dead On Arrival"

I have bought a fair amount of drives from them and they so far, Knock on wood, Have been trouble free. I just got four more drives from them this month, Western Digital red, To go in the two QNAP network Storage devices I bought with them as a bundle. So far they are humming along.

Much of the problem stems in my opinion from buyers selecting the less expensive OEM bare drives. Bare drives need careful packaging. Whereas Retail packaging hard drives and External drives are packaged by the manufacturer to be able to be shipped.

OEM (Original Equipment manufacturer) Drives are designed and packaged by the maker to shipped in bulk to manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Acer. Their packaging is good until they are broken down into individual drives and resold. Then Seller has to be careful handling, packaging and shipping as the drive itself has no protection beyond its antistatic bag.

I suspect that the other reason I have had good luck is that they ship from a distribution center about ten miles away from where I am.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Also, I almost forgot. I'm not a huge fan of "Green" drives no matter who makes them. You lose a little bit of performance.

I'd suggest a Western Digital Black or a Seagate.

Or for the maximum in performance get a Samsung or Intel SSD drive. 160Gb or larger. No moving parts, less power used, Cooler running, Much faster, More expensive.

You do get what You pay for in computers.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users