Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data recovery from external hd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 universe

universe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hi there,

I have an external  hd wd my book 500gb for some years now.The drive is FAT32 Two days ago I couldn't see it in my computer, I could see it though in computer manager/storage but with the message to formate it and I could see it too in device manager as wd.

I have windows 7 x64.

I tried many things to make it visible in my computer. After few attemps finally I tried the command DISKPART in cmd and  the drive came up in a sec...for a while though because after a restart same game again. I did it again 3,4 times and I can't remember finally how the drive came back. But I couldn't reach easy the directory, it took a long time to load.. Even then it was hard to copy  files, I tried few times. I thought that the drive had a problem so I wanted to move all the files to another internal hd I have (which btw very often is not visible also, sometimes it came up some times I need to rescan from the storage manager to show up). Finally I couldn't do much.

I try to run a check disc to the wd but 2 days now is scanning... It was impossible to wait because I need to work with the pc..so today I took the risk to shut down the computer from the button...the scan was more or less to 9milions clusters...

When I boot again ito windows I checked it and the disc was there but all the directories and the disc name is with unrecognizable characters. When I tried to open a folder the message was syntax errors etc.

In the drive properties I see the free space and the used, its about 257gb used and 208gb free in 465 total.

I made a scan with a software helped me in the past to get some files back from another hd called stellar phoenix data recovery. It found the drive and I push recover but the only thing it came back it was recycle bin with 0 files.

I did that scan with stellar before the chkdsk procedure also but it couldn't see the drive then.

Now I don't know what to do more...

Do you think is there any way to get these files back?

Thanks in advanced for any help or advice :)

Edited by universe, 26 August 2013 - 04:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbp1157

jbp1157

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

I would suggest reading this article and carefully folowing each step. http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html it's been written by one of the guys here and I've used the suggestions with some success.

#3 universe

universe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Thank you very much, I will try it!

#4 universe

universe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi again

Just for the history, I can't make it work. I tried a lot but yet no success. I see the disk in the bottom of storage manager it but ask me to initialize. Also I see it in device manager under disk drives and usb connections but not in my computer. Also with the cmd DISKPART command and LIST VOLUME, is not there :/

I tried to plug it to a mac laptop but I got the message that can't recognize the disk..asking me ti initialize again :[

I have the feeling that there is a way to get my data back but still working on it.

jbp11 the files in the fixit solution are not free despite that it says that are free. Anyway, thanks for the tip again. I'll see what I can do about it.

Edited by universe, 29 August 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm not sure about the page linked, It must have changed to charging at some point.

However You can download Parted Magic Here for Free http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/

Click the Green Download Button. Don't worry about the name that means it is a new release usually.

Then follow the James Litten Tutorial. James does Know what he talks about as regards data recovery, I believe You will be successful. I have seen it work, Just be sure You have a drive to copy files to that has enough space available on it.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 August 2013 - 12:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 universe

universe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks again, I will try it now and let you know :)

#7 universe

universe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hi there, I tried the partedmagic and yes it worked, the damaged disk was in the list.

The only problem was that the disk is 500gb but it shows 2199gb in the list! Few days ago while I was looking a video tut about partedmagic another guy had the same problem but he fixed it and then the program read the right capacity. I have to find again how he did it. I canceled analyzing the disk etc because of that. 

Therefore...I am still working on it :)

Thanks again for your help!

Of course I let you know about the results :)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.

Sorry

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users