Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it dangerous to have 2 different external hard drives running on your laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:16 AM

I know this is a stupid question, but I just need to know this. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm about to leave to go back to college very soon, and I need to back some files up on a new hard drive that I purchased. I plan to leave this hard drive at home, just in case something happens to my laptop or older hard drive. I plan to transfer everything from my older hard drive (about 800gb of stuff) to my new hard drive, so it's going to take a while to transfer everything. Is it safe to have 2 different hard drives connected to your laptop to do date transfers? I'm worried that because this will take such a long time to transfer everything, my older hard drive will crash and loose all my data. It's a Seagate Go Flex 1tb hard drive that's a little over 1 year old.

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

You shouldn't have any issues, as long as the hard drives are in working order it should just run, make sure not to move the drives much (completely unmoving if possible) while tranferring and it should be fine.

One thing though, if both hard drives are "portable" meaning they are powered via USB rather than plug into the wall I would suggest plugging them into far removed ports (one plugged into one side of the laptop, the other plugged into the other side of the laptop) if that is possible. Its not a huge problem, just something that I would prefer to do for power through USB reasons.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

And do not forget to have the laptop plugged in to AC power.

I do that sort of thing all the time, Of course I do use AC Powered Externals most of the time.

I would say that You will safe. If You are worried about it however do it in stages. Make sure the drives are secure, No Vibration and room around them for cooling. No Movement.

1 Year is not old. However I do remove the power or turn off drives when not in use. FWIW I use Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor (Now owned by Seagate as of 2006), And Hitachi External Drives.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

I backup from external to external HD from time to time. Never had an issue...

Can't see that you would either.

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

It is workable. I never encountered issues~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users