Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Pro Satellite T110 won't recognize external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DukeUgrad

DukeUgrad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

Help !  Very frustrated since I purchased external hard drive Western Digital (WD) external hard drive "Elements 1042" for complete backup as well as a complete "Image" of Toshiba Satellite Pro T110 hard drive (120 of 240 GB used) -- using purchased NovaStor's "NovaBackUp software -- so it can be moved to my next laptop.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium operating system and all USB ports are fully functional but the software does not recognize a valid drive letter for the WD "Elements 32". Also, Windows Explorer does not display any drive letter for this external hard drive.

However, Windows "plug & play" worked since this WD "Elements 32" external drive appears as a device under Windows "Devices & Printers" window when reporting on all peripherals. It also reports under "Properties" as operational (no updated device driver available when checked that) 

My ladyfriend Lori has an HP-Compaq laptop which has no issues recognizing this as a valid device with an assigned hard drive letter. She has USB 2.0 ports like my Toshiba Satellite Pro so the USB 3.0 ready external drive (WD "Elements 32") must be compatible with USB 2.0.

Could there be a USB port issue on my Toshiba Satellite Pro involving power (volts, watts, amps) that is somehow an issue when plugging in the WD "Elements 32" external hard drive ?

If so, is a possible "workaround" to use a "Cross Over" cable to connect my Toshiba with my friend's HP-Compaq where the external drive is available (letter drive there) and then use a LapLink software program to allow the computers to "sync" with each other so I can run the NovaStor "NovaBackUp" software for full backup & imaging on my Toshiba thru her HP-Compaq to the external WD "Elements 32" external hard drive ?

Any suggestions, feedback, advice, or recommendations would be much appreciated !

I am a CPA and Enrolled Agent so my accounting career forces me to have some knowledge of personal computers but I am merely a "Advanced Basic" type with computer technology (no "geek" training or desire to be one but admire "geeks" very much) ! Thank You !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

When connected...is the external drive reflected in Disk Management?

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

#3 DukeUgrad

DukeUgrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Louis,

No (at first) - WD "Elements 32" does not appear in separate window appearing after running "Diskmgmt.msc".

However, after navigating to your kind inquiry replying to my external hard drive not recognized as available drive for backup & then typing in the first sentence (above) & then going back to the "Diskmgmt.msc" window, I was shocked to see it suddenly appear in the list of working hard drives (labeled "New Volume" with letter D assigned & 932 GB free/healthy).

The NovaStor Backup software now recognizes this external hard drive & I have begun my backup !

Thanks very much, Louis !  I'm guessing the "Plug & Play" feature did not properly handle full recognitiion of this WD Elements 32 external hard drive when it was plugged into the USB drive.

One final small issue - over past month or so I keeping getting constantly  "interrupted" use of any software application I'm using  (sometimes with occasional window opening regarding a message waiting from another program which then disappears when clicking it). It appears at times on the task bar as icon labeled "Network Detection Services". I do have a "Home" network so I can print to my ladyfriend's HP Deskjet 2050 connected to her HP-Compaq CQ62-423NR notebook computer using secure Wi-Fi from NetGear router (AT&T DSL service).

Wondering how to stop these constant interuptions & would appreciate any advice. Thanks again for you swift assistance !!

James K CPA EA MBA - San Diego CA

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I have no clue what this "network detection service" might be. Is that the exact wording?

You can take a look at your services listing...Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter.  and also take a look in Task Manager at processes...and see if it is llisted there.

I need more info about it before I can opine about it :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users