Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop date change and randomly unstable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ss-rachel

ss-rachel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I have a few problems with my laptop, which is running Windows 7 home premium. Sometimes when I boot up and create a document I notice that the system date has been changed to two years previous. I didn't revert to a backup or anything, I'm not sure why the date changed without any messages or error warnings.

Occasionally my system slows down for no reason, freezing up briefly and taking longer to process things even though there are no background programs running. It does this while working on simple text documents or my bookkeeping software, nothing that would consume an unusual amount of RAM. At the same time, my internet connection slows down or drops out, while my partners connection (same network) is working fine. Disconnecting from the internet, waiting then reconnecting sometimes helps.

I have the current version of Norton 360 which is up to date. Not sure why my system would become unstable while connected to the internet if virus scans are coming up clean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

your CMOS battery is flat, which stores the date and time etc, so every time you shut down your machine it reverts to original time.

it should be easy to replace even for a novice, who knows how to use google. (if you have and old computer lying around just grab the old one out of there, they often last many years)

If your machine is behaving in a random manner there could be probably is deeper issues besides the CMOS battery. 

There is a great "Am I infected" forum here in BC where you could find out more about that, though the likelihood of other hardware failing on your machine increases with age...

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

or it could just be a virus playing havoc with your system...

I'd go down to "Am I infected" and have a chat with those guys.

#4 ss-rachel

ss-rachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

My machine doesn't revert back every time I boot up, just a few times I have noticed the date has changed itself. Norton isn't picking up anything, what kind of hardware issue would cause this?

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

CMOS battery is running low can cause intermittent date resets... so can malware.

#6 ss-rachel

ss-rachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Ok thanks.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Just read on it, and I found out that low CMOS can cause all sorts of gremlins as it boot system settings and stuff also. (I thought this, but didn't know it for sure before)

It's a cheap and easy fix on a desktop, getting your laptop apart might be more difficult though, might not also depending on your make and model.

Google is your friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users