Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Free Antivirus download

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Cathryn2

Cathryn2

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Running Windows Xp Sp3. I recently did a complete system restore back to factory default, 2003. It was a lot of work, but now I have a clean slate before I have to upgrade to Window 7 next year.

After so much help here, I now have a rule; I will not download Anything ever useless Bleeping computer provides me with a link. I always check at Bleeping computer, download first. If it is not there, I look for the tutorials, very diligent about this.

That being said, the question is, I’m looking to download Avast antivirus free, I found a tutorial (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/bleeping-computer-forums/#post).

However, It does not match my screen shots. I keep getting “from download.com or Cnet” and then a bunch of crap comes with it.

Yes I do select  “Custom install” & untic the added garbage. 

I am still getting unwanted “Google Chrome” ect.. I am just looking for an updated link, external or otherwise, not taking any chances without Bleeping Computer.

Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

• Download Avast Free from FileHippo its a trusted site click the button down5.png on the right side then wait for a pop-up to download the file
  • Execute the avast_free_antivirus_setup on the first install screen make sure you uncheck the check box's and click Express Install like on the image:
    Udco4CZq3aD6Au2EvPkgYg4Qz.png
    • During install make sure you select the Free version, its enough for most users.
    • You need to provide a valid e-mail address to activate Avast, the program is free but you need to register every year and opt for the free version.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hello kathy710,

We very much appreciate the kind words and the loyalty! :)

As part of the malware removal community, my personal advice regarding your first post:
It is always very wise to download a product, from the website of the company in question only, or an official mirror of the website. 

Looking for Avast antivirus should point you to this link first and foremost: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Sites like the one SleepyDude linked to above, or the two you mention, are early mistakes you should try to avoid!!

==========

Also, Chrome is not a bad browser, but you will still find legitimate programs trying to offer Chrome as part of their downloads. Keep a watchful eye when downloading/installing products, many of them will have a small checkbox you may not quite see that will install various adware (or web browsers) if left checked.

bloopie

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Hello kathy710,

We very much appreciate the kind words and the loyalty! :)

As part of the malware removal community, my personal advice regarding your first post:
It is always very wise to download a product, from the website of the company in question only, or an official mirror of the website. 

Looking for Avast antivirus should point you to this link first and foremost: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Sites like the one SleepyDude linked to above, or the two you mention, are early mistakes you should try to avoid!!

==========

Also, Chrome is not a bad browser, but you will still find legitimate programs trying to offer Chrome as part of their downloads. Keep a watchful eye when downloading/installing products, many of them will have a small checkbox you may not quite see that will install various adware (or web browsers) if left checked.

bloopie

Hi Bloopie,

I totally agree with you but like kathy said when you try to download the Free version from the Avast site the user is redirected to CNET site that will offer a bunch of crap instead of a clean download unless you are registered there!

www.FileHippo.com its a trustful site without any extra crap.

By the way I just test and the Avast site will provide a direct download if you access the link you provide with Google Chrome but not for Firefox or Internet Explorer!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

It is not uncommon for download links at some security vendor's own site to redirect users to various third=party hosting sites such as CNET and Major Geeks. My problem with the CNET web site is that they use heavy and confusing advertising with their download links. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

That is also correct SleepyDude, and in addition to what quietman7 mentioned,

Many companies will favor certain browsers (usually to create revenue/popularity/downloads) upon downloading the product (which is why Chrome is a direct download). Cnet is an official mirror of Avast...Not 100% sure, but it may be the only official mirror of the product, and it's best to go through the original company's website first. I also disagree with Cnet for various reasons (including the above reasons).

The point I was trying to convey is that blindly trusting another person's link can fool a member into downloading unwanted software.

If the direct Avast link goes to Cnet, then you should be okay downloading just that software (as we know Avast is a trusted antivirus program).

Any other program that is not very well known, and has a Cnet redirect link, should be further analyzed IMO.

bloopie

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

MajorGeeks.com avast! Free Antivirus alternate download link
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thank you so much everyone. Sorry (SleepyDude) & Thanks for responding.

However, I have been through hell & back, restoring her to factory default & back. Not taking any risks I only listen to Bleeping Computer Moderators, Global Moderators & BC Advisors. They are & always will be my computers best friend, my homies ;)

#9 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

It is not uncommon for download links at some security vendor's own site to redirect users to various third=party hosting sites such as CNET and Major Geeks. My problem with the CNET web site is that they use heavy and confusing advertising with their download links. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download.

That was my point exactly. I do want a bunch of hidden crap. I know it is a free product, my computer will pay something (spyware ect) I just want to keep it as minimized as possible. You all know how to delete registry extras, I have tried solo...I have learned the hard way (factory default) now I wait your help. This forum is awesome!

Edited by kathy710, 25 August 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#10 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

That is also correct SleepyDude, and in addition to what quietman7 mentioned,

Many companies will favor certain browsers (usually to create revenue/popularity/downloads) upon downloading the product (which is why Chrome is a direct download). Cnet is an official mirror of Avast...Not 100% sure, but it may be the only official mirror of the product, and it's best to go through the original company's website first. I also disagree with Cnet for various reasons (including the above reasons).

The point I was trying to convey is that blindly trusting another person's link can fool a member into downloading unwanted software.

If the direct Avast link goes to Cnet, then you should be okay downloading just that software (as we know Avast is a trusted antivirus program).

Any other program that is not very well known, and has a Cnet redirect link, should be further analyzed IMO.

bloopie

#11 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Confusing advertising is right;, I Love Google, Google Chrome, ect.. They own us, but enough already, my ‘big brothers’ arm reach is getting far too long. Trying to keep it down to a minimum at least until Mailpile & such are released.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Here's another example of things to watch for. At Adobe's site to download Abobe Reader XI,  the latest version, if you do NOT uncheck the Yes box it will install Chrome as your default browser. Similar to your Avast page but here the box IS already checked/ You can click the Adobe Link above to see it. It will not install anything.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

However, I have been through hell & back, restoring her to factory default & back. Not taking any risks I only listen to Bleeping Computer Moderators, Global Moderators & BC Advisors. They are & always will be my computers best friend, my homies ;)

I understand your fear but we are only discussing safe ways to download programs not security options...

Also you should know that there are people that helps on several sites and don't have "badges" like that on all of them...

Edited by SleepyDude, 26 August 2013 - 03:51 AM.

___
Rui

#14 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

I understand your fear but we are only discussing safe ways to download programs not security options...

Also you should know that there are people that helps on several sites and don't have "badges" like that on all of them...

#15 Cathryn2

Cathryn2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Totally agree SleepyDude, & I am sure your advice is good as well. As you can see responses here, everyone has a take, I love that. It is not you it is a discussion on the best result for my computer. All of you debated & found great solutions for me. I just do not want to mess with the Regedit again to remove unwanted hidden junk that follow with many downloads. Add/remove a program is a joke. Now I use this site to uninstall a program entirely.

I learned after much trial & major errors what forum I can trust. The last mistake I made before I did a complete system recovery; was go to a Mozilla forum vs Bleeping computer.  I was instructed be to go to about:config change my default font to 0.05 or something. That was it for me. Could not read a thing to change it back, was forced to use IE (which I loathe) to trouble shoot it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users