Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Barebones Sources

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

It has been some time since I built a desktop and I need some advice on some of the best online sources for barebones hardware purchases:

This is not a gaming machine, but it is very heavily used for multitaking applications with heavy memory usage and processor demands. My initial thought are to go with something like:

• AMD FX  8350
  • 8GB to 16GB RAM
  • 250BG SSD for OS and Programs
  • 1TB to 2TB HARD DISK for DATA storage
  • (need cheap good video card suggestion)
  • USB3 and eSATA ports? 

Has anyone built a system lately and knows of a great resource for good prices on components?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

You can use Newegg or TigerDirect for components.  Would something like the A10-6800K be enough processor for you?  It includes a GPU on the chip and would reduce your power demands and heat generation if you could use an integrated solution like that.

Not all motherboards have eSATA, so you have to search for that port specifically.  If you are going for AM3+ motherboards, the ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 is good for single GPU use.  If you go for the A10 CPU, you will need an FM2 motherboard, so I would go for the ASUS F2A85-V FM2 AMD A85X.

Unless you are gaming, I would seriously consider the A10 if it meets your processing demands.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users