Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangs Completely After Login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonB28

JonB28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here. Tech savvy, work in IT, etc, but this issue is stumping me.

So about 3 weeks ago, Windows started to randomly hang after login, requiring a hard reset. No hardware or software changes (other than possibly windows update). I was able to boot into safe mode with no problem. Ran chkdsk, sfc/scannow and both reported no issues.

So naturally I reinstalled Windows. Worked great until I upgraded to a Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD. I've reinstalled Windows 4 times over the past 3 days trying to combat this problem.
Everything worked great today, got all my programs installed and whatnot, did a restart because of Windows Update, and low and behold; frozen again.

All my drivers are the most up to date as possible. I'm leaning toward blaming it on Windows Updates, but like I said I can still boot into safe mode with no problem. I can also boot into Diagnostic boot without any issue.

Someone please help!!

Specs:
Asus M5A88-V Evo motherboard
AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Processor (stock @ 3.6Ghz) liquid cooled (temp at 103 on startup)
16GB Kingston HyperX Ram
120GB Kingston HyperX SSD
1TB Seagate HDD
1.5TB Seagate HDD
Asus HD7770-2GDS Graphic card
Antec 650W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonB28

JonB28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:52 PM

The updates in question are all security updates for .NET Framework 4
KB2736428 (Sec Update for .NET Framework 4 Client Profile)
KB2487367 (Sec Update for .NET Framework 4 Extended)
KB2736428 (Sec Update for .NET Framework 4 Extended)

#3 JonB28

JonB28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

It appears that those updates (or some combination of those) were causing my freezing. Anyone who is having these issues, look for those updates.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Windows 7 hanging after login is usually caused by a third party software/driver, hanging services, group policies or connecting network drives.

Thank you for letting us know the solution in your case.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users