Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"USB Root Hub" vs "USB Root Hub (xHCI)" in DeviceManager?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MRich520

MRich520

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

My laptop (Razer Blade 14", running Windows 8 x64) has three USB 3.0 ports. In Device Manager I see three "USB Root Hub"s (each corresponding to an individual USB port...?) listed, except one of those three is followed by "(xHCI)". Does that mean that that one port is different in some way from the others?

I'm asking because I have a (supposedly) USB 3.0-compatible external enclosure for a hard drive that I took from my old computer, but it only works when I plug it into one of the three available USB ports. In the others, its activity light turns on but the drive never spins up and isn't listed as connected in My Computer. After seeing one root hub appear different from the other two in Device Manager, I was wondering if the (xHCI) port might be special in some way and as a result be the only port that supported the external hard drive.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

According to wikipedia... on XHCI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Host_Controller_Interface

In the others, its activity light turns on but the drive never spins up and isn't listed as connected in My Computer.

There could be a low power rail supply on the USB root hubs. It could also be from the enclosure makers sometimes as there are different chip support. The xHCI seems to support all these functions with regards to power, drivers and compatibility. See link for more details.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users