Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM AntiRootkit Scan - How long does it take???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 addygard

addygard

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

It's going on 5 hours now. . .I'm about ready to abort this scan!  How long does it generally take?

If anyone can give a shout back at your earliest convenience, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/how-to-use-malwarebytes-anti-rootkit......Tutorial.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-rootkit/.....download link

I would hazard a guess that you are mightily infected......Post some detail.eg, What lead you to run this particular tool in the first place etc

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Long story. . .I was having problems and have been trying to follow the instructions posted in a previous topic  ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504050/pup-virus-infection/ ).  I've followed the scan instructions in the order given (Security Check, Farbar, Mini Tool Box, MBAM) in that thread up to the AntiRootkit scan, but I can't get past this scan. . .it is taking sooooooooo long.  This is the 3rd time I've tried to run it, but this is the first time I've let it go this long. . .it is now going on 7 HOURS.  Once all the scans were completed, I was going to post all the results in a new thread here on the forum. 

Don't know what to do now.  It appears to be stuck at least an hour on documents and settings\.......\startmenu\programs\startup\desktop\ini.  And when I press the cancel button, it does respond that a scan is in progress and asks am I sure I want to stop it, although the first two times I said yes, it didn't respond and allow me to x out of it.  In fact my computer wouldn't respond to anything then and I had to power it off manually.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

1. Click on START>All Programs>Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware>Tools>Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon

(Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you may see a User Account Control prompt. If so, click Yes.)

Follow the onscreen Instructions there.

2  Malwarebytes Chameleon will then terminate any threats running in memory, which may take a while, so please be patient
3  Upon completion, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will open automatically and perform a Quick scan
4. Once the scan is complete, click on Show Results and remove any threats that are found by clicking Remove Selected
5.  If prompted to restart your computer to complete the removal process, click Yes

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

and.....Post any Log produced, back Here , Please !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Chameleon is usualy the way I scan w/MBAM, but didn't this last time as I was following the scan instructions from the previous thread I mentioned.  I won't do the scan tonight because I know it will take almost 2 hours, and I want to shut it down and call it a night.

Thanks again.

#7 addygard

addygard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Posting a new thread. Please close this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users