Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to recover deleted files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Not sure if I am in the right forum. Point me in the right direction if not. The OS is Vista Business.

I need to recover deleted files from the hard drive. Someone suggested Recuva, which is a free recovery tool, but my scan says its not safe. Then i found StellarPhoenixWindowsDataRecovery, which is free download until you actually tell it to recover the file, then you have to buy it. This is the first time I had to use this type of tool.

Can you give me input and recommendations as to recovery tools that actually work, both free and paid for? I prefer free since I may not ever need to do it again. If I have to pay, I have to pay.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

I have used Recuva in the past with no problems.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Recuva is perfectly safe...I don't know what "scan" you refer to but I advise disregarding it.  I'm assuming that you downloaded from the Piriform Website,  nirsoft.com website, I don't vouch for anything occurring from any other site.  The free version, of course.

Other techniques you may be interested in:

Data Recovery , GParted, AA - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic474881.html

Data Recovery Using Puppy Linux, Brooks - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com

Louis

#4 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone. I will give Recuva a shot. The scan was from Norton. Over time I have heard negative things in regards to Norton, so I think I will use Recuva anyways. You got to love this forum!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

:thumbup2: , let us know how it goes.

Louis

#6 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

Generally speaking, the free data recovery tool has limited function, but I never try Recuva. Most data recovery tool are paid version, so it may be not easy to find a good one. I suggest you to purchase one, but it is up to you. :)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

Generally speaking, the free data recovery tool has limited function, but I never try Recuva. Most data recovery tool are paid version, so it may be not easy to find a good one. I suggest you to purchase one, but it is up to you. :)

That's a matter of opinion....your comments re free data-recovery tools.

The links I posted are all free tools and members have reported success using each of them to recover data from hard drives, in varying situations.

I have a paid data-recovery program (purchased more than 5 years ago) which worked well for me...but since I purchased it, I have also used Recuva's free version with success.

I would not dismiss any tool automatically because it requires no outlay of cash...any more than I believe that I need to pay for an AV program, when there are various free AVs that do the job quite well.

Paying...doesn't make the tool better...just reflects a different developer philosophy, IMO.

Louis

#8 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

That's a matter of opinion....your comments re free data-recovery tools.

The links I posted are all free tools and members have reported success using each of them to recover data from hard drives, in varying situations.

I have a paid data-recovery program (purchased more than 5 years ago) which worked well for me...but since I purchased it, I have also used Recuva's free version with success.

I would not dismiss any tool automatically because it requires no outlay of cash...any more than I believe that I need to pay for an AV program, when there are various free AVs that do the job quite well.

Paying...doesn't make the tool better...just reflects a different developer philosophy, IMO.

Louis

Really? I have never tried free data recovery program, because most of program I saw are paid versions, but we can try with trial version. I will have a look at Recuva.

Thanks Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users