Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free Protection Programs, Etc...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maitai11

Maitai11

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you for all you do for people like me who need your help.  You're priceless!

Some basics: 

Operating System
   MS Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit SP1
  CPU
   AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 51 °C
   Venice 90nm Technology
  RAM
   3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 200MHz (3-4-4-8)
  Motherboard
   ASUSTek Computer INC. NAGAMI (Socket 939) 40 °C
  Graphics
   W2040 (1600x900@60Hz)
   256MB Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (ATI)
   Radeon X1300 / X1550 Series Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (ATI)
   CrossFire Disabled
  Hard Drives
   488GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
   195GB Seagate ST320082 7AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
  Optical Drives
   TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552L ATA Device
  Audio
   Realtek High Definition Audio

Hokay, I'm looking to make sure I'm doing everything I need to be doing.  I currently run the following programs:

Zonealarm

AVG

Superantispyware

Spybot

Spywareblaster

Adaware

CCleaner

Some of those are disabled...they tend to make a real mess if certain aspects are running all at once.  MY QUESTION:

Is this a good mix of free PC protection to have?  Can anyone tell me the optimum settings, or better programs?  Also, I am getting a very jerky streamed video situation.  Anyone know what I need to do to fix that?  Your help is very much appreciated and thank you for the support!!!

Best,

Maitai

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2013 - 04:42 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV & Antimalware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

You could get rid of Spybot, it's not that it doesn't work but it is out-dated and very slow in operation. The rest of your protection list is fine, so long as you are aware that CCleaner is not protection software !  CCleaner is a tool for getting rid of those temporary files that keep building up, and it is very good at it. Just DON'T use it as a registry cleaner. The party line on BC is leave your registry strictly alone !

The most likely cause of jerky streamed video is an internet connection that is too slow. If you don't have any other means of checking your internet performance try www.speedtest.net, particularly if you check it over a period of time. I don't know what the practical lower limit is for video over the internet, it depends on the quality of the video you are watching. But when our connection was running at 2Mbps my wife was getting some stuttering watching catch-up TV, but with it now fixed and at 10Mbps, we have watched two different TV feeds at the same time without visible stuttering or spooling.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

I recommend you remove Spybot and Adaware and replace them with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

As for Ad-Aware.

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use as getting a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled. During installation you can uncheck any offers for free toolbars if you do not want them.

You may want to read: Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools

I'm also not a fan of AVG. I prefer avast! as a free alternative and ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Maitai11

Maitai11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks so much, Chris, here's my speedtest result:  http://www.speedtest.net/result/2921921056.png

Janitor?   Thanks for all your advice, I'm going through it right now to remove SpyBot, etc, and thanks for your interest in helping me.  I will report back!

Maitai

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Not a problem...good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016