Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cjsafrit

cjsafrit

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Booting from cd to repair windows XP, the cd loaded and computer restarted and seems to be stuck on installing devices and the status bar has not moved in over 12 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Not knowing why you needed to make a repair installation I can only guess as to what may have happened.

Is the disk in good shape?  No scratches, no peanut butter finger prints... I kid you not.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have SP3?

In order to see if there is a problem with the hdd please download SeaTools for DOS.

You will need to burn this ISO file to a disc, to do this I prefer using ImgBurn.  There is a good tutorial for using ImgBurn which has a download link as well as the instructions, you can find it here.  There will be a short and a long test, run the long test and post the results in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

We had a Trojan high jack virus and unable to open IE or Safari or Chrome. Safe mode was the only way to get on internet or perform other functions. Nasdaq (bleeping comp. member) helped with that problem and wanted us to reinstall SP3 but am currently unable to get an SP3 disk.

Disk was in good shape and clean upon insertion.

Dell e521 desktop

We do have Sp3

Right now I don't know if its safe to shut computer off since it is installing window devices.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

If it has been over twelve hours I would go ahead and remove the disc, download the hdd diagnostic tool, burn it to a disc and boot from it to see if there is a problem with the hdd.

If there is no problem with the hdd, try running the repair installation again.

Do you have your important files backed up?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Ok we'll try that. We did backup everything to an external hard drive. We ran various cleaners and malware removers and now there are several registry errors. The CPU usage is sky high and simple functions take forever. We did the repair boot in an attempt to repair the OS. Any other suggestions are welcome. Please advise!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Try doing the repair installation one more time.  I'm not sure if this being done properly, so I'm including instructions for the repair installation.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below.  

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.   If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

If this fails again run the hdd diagnostics scan that I suggested from SeaTools.

#7 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

I tried the hard drive diagnostic from the boot menu (F12) it did not recognize diagnostic.

I attempted to do the repair install once more. Selected boot from cd with the XP cd in drive, it started but has a black screen and doesn't seem to be doing anything. Upon restart it shows the Dell logo boot screen and then goes to black.

At this point do I choose System Setup?

#8 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

I got it to start loading from disk again and it is going through setup.

We pressed ENTER and F8 to accept license and then got the blue screen of death.

Tech info of blue screen:
0x0000000A (0xCDCDCDCD, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80414F12)

#9 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Will not start up in safe mode now

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I tried the hard drive diagnostic from the boot menu (F12) it did not recognize diagnostic.

You need to access the BIOS and set the DVD/CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order, the hdd should be the second device.  Place the disc you made for the diagnostic in the optical drive's tray and close it.  Start your computer, you will get the message to press any key to boot from disc.  You do not need to press F12.

The Stop: error you received usually indicates a hardware issue.  This could be the hdd, the RAM,etc.  For this reason we really need to run the diagnostic tool on the hdd.  There are instruction supplied by SeaTools, I would suggest printing these and following them very carefully.

To test the RAM you will need to use Memtest86.

1) Please download the Memtest86 Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO file.

2) Unzip the downloaded memtest86 file.  You will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip this file.

3) Inside, you will find the memtest86 file.

4) Please download and install ImageBurn.

5) Insert blank CD into your CD drive.

6) Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

7) Click on the Browse for a file... icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

8) Locate the memtest86 file, and click on the Open button.

9) Click on the blue arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

10) Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.  

Please note:  It may be neccessary to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd second.

Each pass consists of 8 tests, it is suggested that you run at least 7 passes, this will take several hours, you may find it simpler to let it run overnight.  The longer you run the passes the more comprehensive the results will be.

If you are running multiple modules and have a failure, remove all but one module and test it separately, continue this with each module till you find the one that failed.  

When you discern that a module is good, use it to test each slot to be sure there isn't a problem with one of them.

When the test is complete a display similar to the one below will appear.  Note the locations of the Pass and Errors, any Error is indicative of a failed module.

memtest1_zps7be717f5.png

#11 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

The Seatool long test completed and passed. And the dst completed without error.
Short DST. Passed
Long test. Passed

#12 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

It has done 19 pass with "pass complete, no errors,"

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

What are you referring to as DST?

Did you run Memtest86 with at least six passes?

I realize operation of any applications are iffy, but please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps3c082bf1.png

Click on File, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click in the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Can you open and run anything from the command propt?

If you can click on run in the start menu and type in cmd and then press Enter.

Type in or copy and paste chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt and then press Enter

You will get the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to shcedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  (Y/N)

Press the Y key, then press Enter

Restart your computer to run the scan

#14 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

"The Seatool long test completed and passed. And the dst completed without error.
Short DST. Passed
Long test. Passed "

This is what was on the screen after the sea tool test was finished.

We ran the memtest86 19 times with no errors or failures.

#15 cjsafrit

cjsafrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Right now we can try and run speccy from a disk but the computer doesn't start up in regular or safe mode so I can't copy and paste the log. We read something about booting from the utility partition is that a viable option at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users