Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tile desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tpersil

tpersil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

I just purchased a new hp portable with windows 8. I have used every version of windows since 95 except for Vista and windows7.  My personal favorite is XP Pro since my system is used 90% for business use and xp is so easy to compartment and navigate.  I know that win8 has be confused but I will succeed.  My first desire is to disable the live tile desktop and use the conventional desktop only.  Is there a way and does this hurt the system

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

I use this from our Tutorials Section.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

Windows 8 no longer includes the traditional Start Menu that Windows users have become associated with using..........With this in mind, a free program called Classic Shell has been updated to support the ability to add a Start Menu to Windows 8.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tpersil

tpersil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

1. Thanks so very much.  This small addition solved the majoriy of my navigation problems so that I can avoid all of the cute parts of win8.  I have no interest or desire to use a computer as a music box, television, or any other fun and games.  I simply use it for customer info, databases, online access for information to make sufficient income to take care of my family.  Thanks again. I was not aware of this website or you very knowledgeable people regarding these subjects.  I am not trained enough or knowledgeable to offer my experience to your group but if ever I see something that I actually am experienced with I will respond. 

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Glad You liked it too and thank You for the kind words, We appreciate them.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users