Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live reinstalling old data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beep beep

Beep beep

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have made a mess of setting up Windows Live Mail and decided to uninstall it and start again. But when I reinstalled it, the page that came up was exactly the same as before uninstallation.

Is there a way of getting of getting back to square one ?  I have several email addresses to add with two different servers and I need to start again.

I hope this is a new thread. Can`t see it anywhere else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

There is, but it involves editing the registry, if you are comfortable doing that.

Uninstall Windows Live Mail through the Control Panel. It's a good idea to remove all the accounts before you uninstall and delete the registry keys. In Windows Live Mail, right click the account in the left navigation pane that you want to remove, then click Remove account. Or, click on the Tools tab at the top, go to Accounts, click on Mail tab, highlight the account and click Remove.

Open regedit from the Start button search bar, and delete the following registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail desktop

Go to the Program Files folder on your hard drive, find the Mail folder under Program Files\Windows Live, and delete the Mail folder.

Reboot the computer. It should be thoroughly removed, and you should be able to reinstall it without all the previous settings and accounts.

#3 Beep beep

Beep beep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Thanks very much. That is very helpful and straightforward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users