Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp very slow start, mouse not functioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mswilma2

mswilma2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

After a storm related power outage, xp on my desktop,is taking 30 minutes to fully load. once loaded, mouse does not function. Can use keyboard in limited capacity to bring up start menu and other apps, including system restore, but can not procede to restore. Have cleaned pcu out. Restarted several times.Even screen saver is extremely slow.

Even the laptop I am using now is slow and upon using task manager, task manager...running comes up over 15 times, when olny using control alt delete once,.as does desktop.

I am a layman so simple instructions please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Good morning :).

I would try running the chkdsk /r command...on each system...if you have access to the XP Recovery Console.

Power outages can result in damaged files and/or damaged equipment...but the more likely (IMO) would be damaged Windows files.

At times, chkdsk /r can overcome this.

If you don't have a Genuine XP install disk...hence, access to the XP Recovery Console...then you can create a substitute.

See instructions by AustrAlien at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421198/xp-recovery-console-cd/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users