Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 raverrebel

raverrebel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

my internal hard drive is broken and now I want to buy a new one. I thought about buying an USB 3.0 external hard drive (this one for example: http://www.pearl.de/product.jsp?pdid=GRA19938&catid=8909&vid=932&curr=DEM&wa_id=995&wa_num=4408) and then buying a USB 3.0 "port" for my computer. This way I can safely store my data and boot from the hard drive with USB 3.0.

Now my question: Am I doing bullbleep by buying an external hard drive for my computer and will it be as fast as an internal hard drive (which could be important for playing games) ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

It would help to know the make and model of this computer.

A hdd connected via a USB port will limit the transfer rate to that of the bus speed of the USB.  Without knowing the make and model I can't find that information.

Not knowing the make and model keeps me from finding what USB ports you have, I would guess 2.  If this is the case the other USB 3 device would clock down to the USB2 speed.

Personally, I would replace the hdd internally, there are some good reasons for doing this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

This way I can safely store my data and boot from the hard drive with USB 3.0.

Can you clarify about what you mean store and boot?

Tekken

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hello,
my internal hard drive is broken and now I want to buy a new one. I thought about buying an USB 3.0 external hard drive (this one for example: http://www.pearl.de/product.jsp?pdid=GRA19938&catid=8909&vid=932&curr=DEM&wa_id=995&wa_num=4408) and then buying a USB 3.0 "port" for my computer. This way I can safely store my data and boot from the hard drive with USB 3.0.
Now my question: Am I doing bullbleep by buying an external hard drive for my computer and will it be as fast as an internal hard drive (which could be important for playing games) ?

You will want to verify that your computer can in fact boot from USB drives. Not all computers can, especially older computers.

In general, you will be better off replacing the internal hard drive. As noted by others, if you provide a make and model of the computer, we can likely help you find the right kind of internal drive and also help you find instructions on how to pull out the old drive and install the new drive.

You could then use an external drive to backup your computer in case the hard drive ever dies again (or something else happens).

Do you have install discs for Windows as well as your applications? If not install discs, do you have recovery optical discs that either came with the computer or that your burned when you first got the computer? And if you don't have that, do you have a backup of the computer?

#5 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

@dc3: This should inhabit all the informations you need: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NcaWcnPQ7l455eAI3YNBUBC

I have two USB 2.0 Slots on the front of the pc and 2 Slots (also 2.0) on the back.

@jhayz: I thought about installing Win7 on the external hard drive and then booting from USB. Store = Save

@smax013: I will look in the Boot Menu if there is an option to boot from USB.

I can download all applications I need from the Internet or have discs.

I don't have a backup of the computer, but my hard drive is not failing completely, I can access all informations needed (writing atm from my computer).

I once burned a Win7 Home Premium (I bought a key for this together with this computer) with help of the official iso download tool from microsoft. This should get it installed and then I can enter the key to get the full version (hopefully).

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

My take on computers...why would I want to make an already complicated process (booting, running Windows)...even more complicated...by introducing one more unnecessary failure point in the priocess by using a USB drive?

Actually...three more points...the USB port, the USB enclosure, and, finally, the hard drive itself.

Louis

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

@jhayz: I thought about installing Win7 on the external hard drive and then booting from USB. Store = Save

Windows would only work internally by the hard drive bay or not by any USB ports. To use and or create a Windows USB bootable flash drive is available nowadays. Internal connections read/write is more robust due to hardware controllers support, power and capability. USB3 is an improvement on data speed transfer only and is not comparable to internal drives in terms of speed.

Tekken

#8 raverrebel

raverrebel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

Okay, I see. I should buy an internal hard drive. Are there any major differences between hard drives or can I just buy "any" hard drive? What about buying an SSD to put Windows on it to have a better speed?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Personally I like a SSD Boot drive for the speed. However I would advise at least 120Gb Samsung or Intel SSD. Then I would add a 7200 RPM Data drive 1 to 3 Tb in size. The smallest SSD i have in use is a 120Gb and the Largest a 300Gb. If You have or can add a USB3 card/Port than a USB3 external would probably work for data. Even then the USB3 will be lower than the internal drive.

If You buy a SSD drive make sure to get a 3.5inch to 2.5 inch adapter for it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

There are also brackets to hold 3.5 to 2.5 hdd or ssd for desktops http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411020,00.asp

Tekken

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Okay, I see. I should buy an internal hard drive. Are there any major differences between hard drives or can I just buy "any" hard drive? What about buying an SSD to put Windows on it to have a better speed?

I've used SSD's before, and apart from the boot time, found the change of the speed of my system imperceptible.

That said, they don't tend to die so catastrophically taking all your precious data with them. Little bit more of a heads up period...

Nice fast spinning SATA will do the job for a better budget, with much more storage.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

TsVk...

There are significant differences between a SSD and a HDD.

A SSD has a copy and write speed above 200 MB/s, and up to 500 MB/s for high ends SDDs.

A Hdd has a range of anywhere from 50 -150 MB/s.

Failure rates so far looks like 2.00 million hours for a SSD, and 1.50 hours for a HDD.

The file opening speed of a SSD is 30% faster than a HDD.

One aspect which is particularly significant for laptops is the fact that SSDs have a much lower current draw due to the lack of moving parts which equates to more amp hours.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

dc3...

It is true SSD outperforms HDD significantly... But. Unless you require huge amounts of streaming data (media creation, high end games etc) the actual benefit seems negligible if not imperceptible to most users.

Another great thing about SSD is that once they reach their "lifetime" rather than becoming dead they become read only. I think that's pretty awesome.

The prices have come down loads too, making it viable now for many users who were out-priced before.

And yet I still buy HDD in preference at this stage.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

that said... Just having chatty chats with the other guys here, and the rating for SSD's in laptops is very high. Obvious choice, as well as the power consumption difference, the heat signature that in turn affects all the other components and overall performance. That coupled with the fact that laptop drives are a much slower device generally than desktops, so the difference is far more noticeable.

Also. We all agree that starting virtual machines on an SSD gives incomparable speeds... Almost instantaneous.

At 5x the price per GB... Well, I guess you get what you pay for.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I will say the I do not regret the money I spent on Intel SSD drives, I have put 5 of them to work throughout the house, all in the 120Gb to 300Gb. I went for reliability, not the ultimate in speed FWIW.

Prior to Windows 8 a SSD was the best way to ensure fast Boot times. Program load times and so on. I feel that keeping every part of windows on the SSD does speed things up. Any reads or writes to these system files are fast, hiberfil.sys, swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys which benefits to the overall feel of speed.

Virus or Malware scans run very fast too.

I do no that a SSD has no benefit as regards applications that are CPU limited such as encoding video. However if You do not have enough memory then that could benefit from the swapfile speed.

I still buy 3 TB external drive USB3 drives for backing up things like HD video source on. MozBackup files in case I need to recover. I power off the Externals when not in use to protect them from Malware and wear & tear. I also have a NAS with mirrored drives for This computer to use for backups Since there is no way to add USB3 to it.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users