Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smartphones,can they pose security problems to my computer???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

I never owned a smartphone and am a novice computer user....my friends all tell me to get a smart phone and it is like having a little laptop....please understand that I have no clue as to whether it has anything to do with my home computer but I am imagining that if I am checking emails and for eg:BC,then I am using my passwords and it just seems this would pose spyware,malware and virus threats to my computer somehow...am I way off base here,I never ever even type in my phone number anywhere because in case somebody is spying,that is much to invasive....I do hope I am explaining my concerns well enough for you all to understand...

Can somebody explain to me how(or if)using internet on the phone ties in with my home system?

Sincerely,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

The anaology is not untrue, that being a small computer. Let me see if I can address some of your concerns.

Yes if you access the same accounts i.e Bleeping Computer, email, various webpage logins it would be no different than using the library computer or work computer to access those same logins. Make sure you have an antivirus and use the same precautions to keep your passwords safe that you employ on your home computer.

I use a password manager for my smartphone, my desktop, laptop and tablet. I do however break one 'general' rule and keep my encrypted password file in the cloud. This way all my passwords are available on each device and always synched.

Use good judgment, install security measures and it's no different than using a secondary computer or other device.

As for your smartphone 'tying' into your home computer other than though the web like we are now. Unless you use a USB cable it can't. You can however use other methods to access your phone and it's data through your computer. But that's a much longer discussion and device specific.

If you have other specific about questions related to smartphones and how they interface with computers I'll do my best to answer them. Just ask here in this thread.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thank you so much Animal,

That is exactly the information I was looking for,do you have any suggestions for me on purchasing one....I am awful on a touch screen(all thumbs-lol),my needs are very basic and I would prefer not to spend alot of money on my first smartphone?

Oh,one more thing I have always wanted to ask you.....How did you learn to type so fast with four furry fingers and a dewclaw?Lol.....Have a great weekend Animal,and as always,your help is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,Kwik(newbleeping)

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hehehe. Thanks for the kind words. One word. Practice!

As for phones thats difficult to answer without knowing some more information. Some you may not wish to make public at this time, for personal reasons. I'll send you a PM shortly and give you some background on whats needed information wise. Then you can decide from there how to proceed. Random shout outs about Android or iphone ot this model or that model don't help when you don't know what carrier or service is even available to you.

Hence why I'll send you a PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 _dan

_dan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

I wouldn't want an iPhone because with that you have far less options. However, this study doesn't sound good: http://gigaom.com/2014/01/21/study-shows-99-of-mobile-malware-in-2013-targeted-android-devices/

Use good judgement: download something like MalwareBytes, don't open up suspicious emails (gmail and many other programs seem to filter most of those anyways). 

Its often recommended to only download apps from Google Play, but recently I decided to download F-Droid which is an alternative "marketplace" (they're all free though). I would think you can safely download from the Amazon App Store on a regular basis, too.  

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi Animal

I posted on another thread but I should have posted here ,I did not realizxe I already asked you these questions before I bought the phone ....so should I use the same stuff I use at home....Malwarebytes,Superantispyware ,,,,which firewall & anti virus is best> I bought the Huawei Valiant,,,,

Best Regards,Kwik

perhaps you can move my questions from there to here or here to there ,whatever you see fit?                                                              

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

I'm addressing those concerns in the Android forum as it's an android phone.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528762/questions-about-android-security/

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users