Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Wizard?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

My mother is using Xp Home.... she inadvertently ran a disk which tried to connect her to a new internet provider. She stopped the disk before it could finish..... now each time she runs IE the Internet Connection Wizard trys to continue with the sign up.
I know that there's a setting a can change to stop this from running.... but i can't for the life of me remember where it is !!! Can someone please point the way.

BBPP6nz.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

What sort of ISP is she actually trying to connect to? Dialup? Cable? DSL? Wireless? Satellite? Each has its proclivities and idiosyncracies. And what sort of ISP was the setup disk for? (AOL? Earthlink? Other?) Have you checked in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to see if it's there?

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

hi,
she is already on Aol broadband, but she put in a disk for 'Lineone dial up' ( well she is 74 :thumbsup: )
There's nothing in the add and remove programs, but after running a hjt log on her pc, there is an entry....
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = https://loginnet.passport.com/ppsecure/md5auth.s
I wasn't sure whether deleting this line would have cured it or not.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

The best thing to do would be to use Windows System Restore to reset her system state to a day before she semi-loaded this ap.

To do so:
Click the start button, then programs, then accessories, then system tools, then System Restore.

That will open the System Restore wizard which will give her a choice of dates to use. Just pick one from before she loaded the unwanted ap and your system will be reset to that date's configuration.

This type of thing is exactly what System Restore was designed to do.

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

Thx for the reply,
that was going to be 'plan B', but i know that there's something that i can untick somewhere that will stop the connection wizard from running.
Maybe the system restore would be the quickest way of sorting this.

BBPP6nz.png

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

I wasn't sure whether deleting this line would have cured it or not.

No. That's probably the .Net passport, for use with MSN Messenger or the like.

Why is she trying to run the Internet Connection Wizard? Is AOL no longer working?

What are the symptoms?

I've no experience with AOL Broadband. Is the connection cable or DSL? Does she need AOL to connect to the broadband? If not, who is the provider?

Based on the answers, you might be able to go into Internet Options and change a setting to restore connectivity, assuming it's lost.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

She was having a bit of a problem with connecting to Aol,( yes it is DSL) but this has since been sorted. She just tried the disk to try and get onto the internet even if it was on dial up. But as the Aol was sorted out, she didn't need the dial up. (mothers... you can't live with them and you can't live without them. lol)
I'm going around tomorrow, so if the problem still exists i'll just do a 'system restore' and have done with it.

BBPP6nz.png

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

so if the problem still exists i'll just do a 'system restore' and have done with it

Probably the best option.

DSL usually requires specific connection settings, and if you don't know what they are, you can't restore them. They're usually installed by a DSL provider's disk. The new software may have changed the connection settings in the Internet Options. If you haven't installed any new software since the restore date you pick, you shouldn't have any problems. This is what System Restore is for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users