Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop w/ broken screen won't connect to ext. monitor due to improper shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 98761234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:12 AM

I broke my laptop monitor a while ago. I connected an external monitor to it and everything worked fine. However, I can only get the laptop to switch to the external monitor by pressing FN + F1 when Windows 7 starts properly.

I recently had to perform a force shut down, and I can't get passed whatever start-up repair screen it boots to when I turn it back on. I've tried pressing enter and pressing the arrow keys up and down in different combinations and hitting enter, in an attempt to guess what screen/options are trying to be displayed.

I can't switch to my external monitor on these boot menus, and need help getting past them. Or, any solution you think might help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

What happens when you try to boot into Windows?

Do you see the normal LEDs light up?

Do you see hdd LED activity that you normally see at startup?

If you do, does the hdd LED activity slow to the occasional flicker?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.

For future reference, you can shut the computer down by pressing the Windows key windowskey1_zpsc5b3eb45.png + D, followed by Alt + F4,  then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users