Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Frustrated - Windows 7 - Connected to Internet, Can't access internet.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nyslick13

nyslick13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

I have literally been through 10 programs, 100+ websites and forums, and spent more time on this that could be used with my business rather than tech issues. Running Windows 7, everything was working fine for over a year. I downloaded a file online and all of the sudden, everything went down hill. Major errors, internet coming in and out, and blue screens. I don't know if it's from the downloaded file, or what happened.

I ran the following:

MalwareBytes

Hitman Pro

CC Cleaner

AVG Antivirus

Comodo Antivirus

Some said nothing, some came up with issues, cleared all. Everything on my computer is now working property, EXCEPT for the internet. The internet icon is connected to the wireless, and i even ran a microsoft fix it program to test for internet connectivity and it passed and said it was connected, but when I go to any browser it shows an error and says server not found. 

MalwareBytes won't update because it kicks back a network error.

I have literally tried everything I could possibly think of. I broke down and hit craigslist today and bought a cheap older desktop. Works perfectly, but my main computer needs to be repaired.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm at my wits end with this.

Let me know if you need more information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JeffBurnsRed

JeffBurnsRed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

I have experienced issues with similar computer behavior.  Often times it is because the proxy settings for the internet connection are not as they should be.  If you go to the internet settings (control panel, then to internet options) and then click the tab across the top that is titled "Connections" then click the button towards the bottom labeled, "LAN settings" make sure that "Bypass proxy settings for local addresses" is not checked and that "Automatically detect settings" is checked.  This often has solved the problem for me.  

#3 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

It is set to automatically detect settings and "bypass proxy settings" is unchecked. I believe this is deeper than LAN or ipconfig settings, and is being controlled/blocked by malware.

#4 JeffBurnsRed

JeffBurnsRed

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

Have you tried running Combofix? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

#5 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Just downloaded it. Nothing to report. No errors issues to resolve through combofix.

#6 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Bump

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

You don't say if your new 2nd hand computer is connecting to the internet or not.

If it is, then the problem lies with your main computer. You imply that this is a desktop computer. In almost all of these, wi-fi is an added-on capability whether it is by an internally mounted card or a USB dongle. These can fail, but as a first step I would uninstall whichever one you use and re-install it. As you are no doubt aware, wi-fi is a receive and transmit function, and these devices can fail in one direction and not both. If re-installing doesn't work, it might be worth your while to try a different one. If you can't beg borrow or steal one to try it, USB dongles are pretty cheap.

If the 2nd computer doesn't connect, then the problem probably lies with your router. You can access most routers by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar in your browser. You will then normally be asked for a user name and password. These will usually be found on a label on the browser if they are 'secure' types. The user name is normally 'Admin' and common default passwords are 'Admin' or 'Password' (I am NOT joking).

Once you have accessed the router, check for 'Statistics' normally under the 'Maintenance' heading. This will give you upstream and downstream performance rates - among other things. If either of these is zero, you have a router fault.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

The main computer is a laptop. That is the one with the issues.

This is my secondary cheap old computer that i'm using now.. internet works fine, auto connected, and same with the ipad and other electronics.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Have you tried running Combofix? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

ComboFix is a tool used to attempt to neutralize malware.  We understand that your suggestion was made with the intent of helping...but such suggestions might actually hurt the member responding to such.  ComboFix is a powerful tool that should only be run under the guidance...and at the request of...a person trained in dealing with malware.  At BC, those personnel are known as the Malware Response Team and they do their work in the BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs Forum, also known as the Malware Removal Logs forum or simply MRL.

This forum does not have the expertise to focus on malware issues and suggesting use of a malware tool to deal with what appears to be a Windows 7 issue...is not necessarily the best suggestion to make to another member.

At this website, the only personnel with the expertise to suggest use of ComboFix...all are Staff members who handle the traffic in the BC Malware Removal Logs Forum., who oversee the use of such tools in malware situations....within the MRL forum.

No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#10 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

Bump. Could use some help.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Well...the first thing I would do is...ensure only one AV program is installed...you reflect two in your opening post.

Please...confine statements about issues...to the troubled computer.

Can you boot into Windows?  Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#12 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I can boot into windows. The computer connects to my wireless network that was tested on other various devices and computers and works fine. It's like something is blocking my network adapter from allowing my pc to access the internet. I asked on another forum, and was told to do this.. 

You have a lot of errors
One of the main errors is

• Translation: This is a nonrecoverable error.
  • Description: This error indicates that some sort of nonrecoverable error occurred during a database lookup. This error may occur if the database files (for example, BSD-compatible HOSTS, SERVICES, or PROTOCOLS files) cannot be found or if a DNS request was returned by the server with a severe error.

Its were to start
Set the dns for the wireless to 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 details here just select your o/smake sure its the wireless you set.

Open a elevated cmd prompt
in the box type
sfc /scannow

when its finished type
chkdsk c: /f

then
Uninstall COMODO Internet Security for now follow this tutor

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Which I did, but still nothing. 

Let me know what you need me to do to be able to describe or show you what is going on better.

#13 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Willing to pay for someone's time to troubleshoot with me. Super screwed without that computer being able to access the internet. Thank you.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Pay is out of the question...this is not a business operation looking for customers...it's a group of volunteers trying to help each other learn and overcome :).  Please don't insult us by offering money...we are not Best Buy :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

#15 nyslick13

nyslick13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

I wasn't trying to insult. Just offering.

Result uploaded here: http://www.fileswap.com/dl/87G0smWp5D/

Too large to post on this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users