Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavilion dv6110us does not get past splash screen/boot up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

I had my laptop stacked away in my closet for about a month after I moved.  I finally took it out, but when I pressed the power button, the laptop started, got to the hp splash screen, stayed on it for a while (5 seconds) and then the display went blank and ended up with a cursor appearing at the top left of the lcd.  Thought it was the hard drive, that the OS has gotten corrupt, so I took out the hard drive and swapped it with a good booting hard drive from another hp laptop.  But still the same thing happened.  after starting I get the splash screen for five seconds and then the display ends up with a blinking cursor at the top left.  By the way, when I tried the original hard drive of the non bootable laptop in my other hp, it booted up without problem.  So it wasnt the hard drive. 

Next I took the hard drive out of the non booting laptop. and started the laptop without a hard drive.  Same thing happened, splashed screen followed by blinking cursor.  So the laptop never got around to reading the hard drive, and it was apparent the problem was with the hardware.

Is this something that can be fixed and in any case what could be causing this behavior

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Well...you cannot take a hard drive from another computer reflecting different drivers, settings, components, and (possibly) license...and insert it into another system and expect it to boot.  Unless the systems are identical, that should always present problems.

And...if the laptop is set to boot from the hard drive, but there is no hard drive...you should never even get to a splash screen (unless you are referring to a non-Windows screen.

It's unlikely that the O/S was damaged by inactivity...no acivity, no chance of file damage.

The blinking cursor, black screen typically indicates a problem with boot files.

I would properly attach the correct hard drive...and then run the HP Hard Drive Diagnostic, following HP instructions.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens when you take a hdd with Windows installed on it from the computer it was installed on and install it in another computer.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

hamlius:  Thats what I thought, that you cannot take a hard drive out of one computer and use it to boot another.  However, when I put the hard drive of the non booting hp laptop (laptop A) into another HP laptop (laptop B), it did boot up the other laptop (laptop B).  So Im wondering why the good hard drive that I used in laptop B would not boot up laptop A. 

You said there is a problem with the bootable files and that what keeps the laptop from going past the splash screen (the window with hp logo) and the screen with the blinking cursor.  So can this problem be resolved by reloading the operating system?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

If you read the post that I added you would have seen that the article states that the damage may not be immediately noticeable.  I learned this the hard way years ago, I watched my operating system become less stable each time I booted the hdd.  Then again, there is a very slim chance that you could skate by, but this is very unlikely.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DC+zero

DC+zero

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

hate to say you might be screwed...can I say that? I have same laptop and it has been nothing but problems. My advice call HP customer service they might be able to help you or at least direct you if you get somebody nice ..  I do remember some troubleshooting that I went through with them & there was some weird key sequence that can bring things back to working. p.s. if you haven't already registered your laptop, like say it was a gift...hp will help.    if you are past your 1year & you already registered they want u to pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users