Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

online photo editors and the resizing blues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I use a lot of online photo editors and picture caption editors and different effects for photos online that you just download the final result as a jpg...

my question is, why do A LOT of these photo editors scale down the image quite a bit????

an image may be 30in x 20in from a digital camera and the website may have a 6MB max file size limit but when you download the image, it may be 10in x 7in and only 170kb in size when it was >2MB originally...

why do A LOT of sites do this???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

SERIOUSLY!!!!!! ANYBODY????????????? OF THE 50 PEOPLE WHO SAW THIS NOBODY REPLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Here's my answer since you demand answers of those who see this topic.

I DON"T KNOW EITHER!!!! Seriously I don't know.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Like Animal, I dont know either, but if you want to avoid that problem, you could simply download this free photo editing software and avoid the online problems.

http://www.gimp.org/

#5 terlan

terlan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Because bandwidth costs money would be my guess. You upload a nice large 6mb file and they reformat it and you download it thats 12mb of bandwidth, factor in a thousand visits a day ( a small-ish site) each only editing the 1 image and you're looking at 12 gigs a day  360gb of traffic a month. and thats only 1 image. Double the visitors and each doing 3 images and your into couple of terabytes of data. and still its only a low traffic site. ramp that up to a large site and it gets off the scale in terms of data traffic.

So it makes sense for them to reduce the file size down as much as possible, the vast majority of their users are editing the images for screen display and dont really need high DPI images. Another reason will be processor load, the larger images take more time to process and reducing their size takes the strain off the server.

or at least thats my guess.

If you really want to keep the file size do like someone else suggested, grab a copy of gimp it's free, or lightroom its not to expensive and use the offline solution. For an online solution try flickr, it doesnt reduce the size of the image as far as I remember and now with the free terabyte of storage is quite an attractive offering.

#6 PCgermphobe

PCgermphobe

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

That was funny and useful. Thank you 'cause in answering Pokémon dude you taught me something new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users