Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Caught in a Circular (and Illogical) Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xirtamehtsitahw

xirtamehtsitahw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I need to install Internet Explorer 8, in order to get Windows Update, but I can't get Internet Explorer 8 to work without the Microsoft .net framework programs...which I can't download or install, because I don't have Internet Explorer 8!  What's up with this dumb and illogical catch-22?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

There is no catch-22 at all.

There are direct downloads for every version of MS.NET, IE8.  If you use Google to search for "IE8 downlaod" and "NET Framework download"...you will see that there are diredct downloads from the Microsoft website for those.

There are no dependencies between MS.NET, IE, and Windows Update.  You need SP3 installed access the Windows Update site for all critical updates since SP3 was issued, which will include any updates to MS.NET or IE that a user may need.

Louis

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

I was having this same discussion with someone a couple of weeks back and I took this screenshot of IE6 on Windows Update. Works just fine. It's as hamluis says. what you need is SP3.

kCYxRxV.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users