Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF or MS Office association mismatch?


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wing987

wing987

  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Payette, ID
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I will dive right into this, pardon me if I seem blunt. Does anyone have any other ideas on what I can try?

 

Description: Remote computer on domain with full network resources. User opens a PDF file on an access databse imbedded into sharepoint. PDF opens up under MS Word (2007).

 

Software involved: Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, MS Office 2007, MalwareBytes, Microsoft endpoint Protection.

 

Troubleshooting: Export access to computer, linked to sharepoint. Same problem. Export database, NOT linked to sharepoint, same problem. Created new database on local machine, works perfectly. Accessed "problem" database on my computer, works perfectly in all situations. Problem system opens all other PDF files no issues. Problem computer opens all office files no problems.

 

Attempts (in no specific order): Checked file associations for all office and adobe products, all are correct. Uninstalled and reinstalled Office, no change. Uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe reader and pro (v 8.3.1), no change. Ran malware, spyware, and virus scans with three hits, but no change in problem. Tried using a different user account on same computer, problem persists on other accounts. Updated Office and Adobe products, no change. Checked permissions of user, all are valid.

 

Results: I can say with 99% certainty that the computer is the problem, not the user account or the network. I can also conclude that the database is intact as he is the only one having a problem with it, but it is used by many.


-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

 

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 55,896 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Worth a look, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html .

 

Louis



#3 wing987

wing987
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Payette, ID
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thank you for that Louis. However I have already used that without it resolving the issue, I did not post it because I tried after the post was made. My apologies.


-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

 

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy


#4 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 55,896 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

No apology necessary :).

 

If it were me...I'd reinstall SP1 and all ensuing updates...on the premise that system files are corrupt/missing and installing the SP anew may overcome that (it has for me in the past).

 

Louis



#5 wing987

wing987
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Payette, ID
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Fix found!

 

Unsure what part of this actually fixed the issue.

 

Downloaded firefox to see if the problem persisted there, however firefox was not compatible with that function.

 

Under a last ditch effort I went into IE and restored all default settings, disabled all add-ons (including adobe), shut down, restarted IE and turned on the needed add ons, including adobe.  I also unchecked "Automatically detect settings" under LAN settings as no proxy is used, but this is on by default. After restarting IE again it magically worked!

 

I still need to verify with the user who is no longer at his desk, but since it was system wide I am confident that this will fix it, although I am unsure as to what part kicked adobe/office into gear.


Edited by wing987, 23 August 2013 - 05:23 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

 

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy


#6 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 55,896 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

:thumbup2: , ours is not to reason why...:).

 

Happy computing.

 

Louis






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users