Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TechNoobey

TechNoobey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I've had my current pc for about 18 Months, and am thinking of upgrading. Here're the details of my current PC: 

CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 8GB 1600mhz DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
Graphics card: Asus GTX 560ti
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 v-pro GEN3
Power supply: Corsair 850HX Pro Series
Case: Antec 902v3
SSD: Crucial M4 (128GB)
Extra hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
DVD: 2 x Sony DVD RW

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster BX2250 (21.5", 1080p screen, 2ms response time)
Monitor 2: Samsung 22" tv (21.5" 1080p screen)
Mouse: Logitech Performance MX
Keyboard: Logitech K350

As far as I can see and know, keyboard, mouse, screens, DVD drive, case power supply and hard drives don't really have an upgrade path, but I'd be grateful for feedback if you disagree? 

As for CPU, graphics card and motherboard & RAM... I'd be really welcome on a good upgrade path. Not really got a budget in mind, but nothing over £1000. I was thinking a Haswell i7, but didn't know if it would be better to wait for the Haswell E (X99) next year and a matching motherboard (again, ideas welcome).

As for graphics card I was thinking a GTX 770, but didn't know whether Gigabyte Asus would be a better bet and whether to go with a 2GB or 4GB version?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

4670K/4770K with a Z87 board is solid for the forseeable future.  When you hit 4.5- 4.6ghz with it screams (in a happy way)

Videocard- 2 or 4 gig is a moot point if your monitor is a 1080P.  2 gigs of memory will work fine.  

Haswell E- that is also my next possible upgrade next year, late next year.  The cost of the CPU, X99 motherboard and brand new DDR4 memory might make you squirm though.  I know it makes me squirm.  It will likely be close to $1000 for CPU/board and memory depending on the cost of brand new DDR4.

All that being said, if I was in your shoes, I would go for a healthy overclock on that 2600K (if you haven't already), grab a GTX770, and maybe even a new 24" monitor, grab a beer and enjoy myself until Q42014, and see what Intel offers.

The above is just an opinion.....I could be wrong.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi

Do not forget that if You do decide to overclock that You will most likely want to go to water cooling for the CPU.

You did not really mention why you wanted to upgrade. What is it that the current computer does not do fast enough?

The DVD drive(s) do have an upgrade path, Upgrade to a BluRay burner. I now use a Pioneer BluRay burner, I wasn't happy with the LG drive I tried at first. Then Use Verbatim HTL media, Not the LTH media. Now instead of 4.7gb or 8.5Gb on a disk go for 25Gb or 50Gb with Dual layer media.

The hard drive upgrade could be a NAS with WD Red NAS drives mirrored for redundancy. Or just add a USB3 card if You don't have USB3 on the motherboard and use USB3 externals. They transfer pretty fast compared to USB2.

The last two 64Gb Flash drives I bought are USB3. Much better.

I agree that Overclocking could give you the bump in performance you are looking for to tide you over until the next Gen of I7 CPU is released and out for a little while for all the bugs to be worked out of the Motherboards and memory technology.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Im just curious if you just mainly game on your PC because if you do, then it would be best to get the top of the line graphics card as your CPU is perfectly fine for gaming purposes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 TechNoobey

TechNoobey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

I do use my PC for mild gaming, plenty of office work and small amounts of photo editing, so speed was the main reason for the upgrade really.

I think the 1st step is a graphics card upgrade, then look into some extras, but probably wait until next year for the CPU/Motherboard with the DDR4 RAM.

Any more feedback is very welcome.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hold off a month or so until the new AMD/ATI cards hit.  Might be great performers, might drive NVidia prices down.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users