Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Security Check" Tools Members

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nici

Nici

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hello Boni:

I was following the instructions on the forum from the member named "Broni"; posted June 26, 2013 for  the Toshia HDD/SSD alert information error message. Upon downloading the tool "Security Check" tool, something very strange happened; I dowloaded the Security check, but, when I clicked the "SAVE" button, the tool just started all by it's self in the command prompt; it also opened notepad with some kind of results; all--- by it's self. I Was unable to save the tool to the desktop, or, make sure the the boxes that were indicated to be check, were "indeed" checked off because, "I never saw the tool".

I opened a new window in notepad over the results that opened, and started to write the forum about the command prompt issue; I was about to copy and paste the results to the new page that I was writing for the forum, but, the document had disapeared. I went to the documents library, to see if the "results" document was there and simply "untitled"; so, I saved the new page, clicked on "Save as", and labled it as "Boni"; I went back to the documents page to see if the "Boni" page was saved; It was alo missing. I then came back to the forum, and downloaded the tool again, this time, it showed up as a download in the download area with no choice to "Save as" for the desktop; also, there is no download (1) in the download area, only the second one I just downloaded. I forgot to save it to the "Desktop".
Can you tell me what I missed? what happened in the first download? Why did this tool run all by it's-self, and in command prompt? Why did the documents go missing? Why was the second download successful? Even thought I forgot to save it to the desktop.Since writing this I have noticed that other documents that I saw while looking for the results documents are now missing. Is my computer comprimised? :scratchhead:

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2013 - 05:03 PM.
Fixed typo, moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Why were you using Security Check?

Did you suspect your system was infected?

If so, why?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users