Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is purpose of "map network drive" on peer-to-peer network?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 primary1

primary1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

My shared drive folder on a peer-to-peer "server" is to store common files for use by a group of users on a peer-to-peer LAN.

What is the purpose of "map network drive" on peer-to-peer network?

Since a shortcut to a shared drive [or folder] can be placed on the networked PC's desktop for convenience, what is the difference as compared to a map drive?

Best practices question.

Should different PC's each map to the same shared drive letter, example all to "Z", or should the individual PC's each have a different map drive letter [Z, Y, X,...]?

I have tried but cannot find much training info on drive mapping.  

thanks for any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 primary1

primary1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

It appears that mapping drives to the same shared folders may actually be causing duplicate folders [not as in a virus].

Is there a method to make all of the shared folder existing files "read only"? The intention is to preserve the original files and forcing each use of an existing file to become a new file ["save as"], or at least asking the "do you wish to open as read-only" question/option each time a file is opened. I guess the whole folder could be made "read-only", but I would like the users to be able to save their new files in the same folder. It is only the original files in the folder I would like to protect.

I want my cake and want to eat it too.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

You can make all the exsisting files read only and still have the folder read/write. It depends on how your sharing the folder and permissions it already has. To keep my post short Microsoft covers it in NTFS file permissions here
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 primary1

primary1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

You can make all the exsisting files read only and still have the folder read/write. It depends on how your sharing the folder and permissions it already has. To keep my post short Microsoft covers it in NTFS file permissions here

Thank you for the tip. I will take a look at the link.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Let me know if the article leaves more questions.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users