Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home, Windows Won't Load

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ruthieross

ruthieross

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

I'm working on a friends computer & now it will not load windows & keeps rebooting.
When I started on her computer I was trying to get all of the updates downloaded & installed. Quite a few times the computer shut off on it's own without any warning. Then I downloaded a virus scan & was able to get all of the updates for it & ran a scan. No virus, a few adware & that's as far as I got. Turned the computer on the next day & it windows never came up. Tried the safe mode, then tried F10 to do a restore but neither one worked. In the F8 for safe mode I tried all options & windows still wouldn't load.
I also tried to load from disk & it was loading then I do believe it froze. Also hit DEL for steup, but didn't do anything there because I didn't know what I should do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I did tell my friend that I do think she was ripped of when buying this computer as it has never worked right to begin with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

It sound like a memory issue to me. Try running one of the two following programs to testyour RAM..

1) Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
2) MicroSoft's Memory Test

I prefer the first.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ruthieross

ruthieross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:21 AM

It sound like a memory issue to me. Try running one of the two following programs to testyour RAM..

1) Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
2) MicroSoft's Memory Test

I prefer the first.

Thank you Acklan. So do I do the ISO images suitable for creating a bootable Memtest86 CDROM on my computer then onto a CD, then try to see if it will pick it up on her computer? Sorry, I'm not too much of a dummy about computers, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.
Sorry, found the instructions. Will give it a try. Thank you

Edited by ruthieross, 23 April 2006 - 09:25 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

I think this should help.

Windows Installation

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

To build a boot-able CDROM use your CD burning software to create an image from the un-zipped ISO file.

Since Memtest86 is a standalone program it does not require any operating system support for execution. It can be used with any PC regardless of what operating system, if any, is installed. The test image may be loaded from a floppy disk or may be loaded via LILO on Linux systems. Any Unix, Windows or DOS system may be used to create a boot floppy or bootable CDROM.

http://www.memtest86.com/#install

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

Just in case...

Windows Memory Diagnostic

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you must reboot your computer with the disk or CD-ROM on which you installed Windows Memory Diagnostic in the drive. After the reboot, Windows Memory Diagnostic will load and its interface will appear. After loading, the first test pass will begin, using the default standard test suite, and continue until complete, unless Windows Memory Diagnostic is either paused or exited. Once the first test pass is complete, Windows Memory Diagnostic will begin a second test pass using the same settings as before. Windows Memory Diagnostic will continue to run test passes until you exit.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Good luck.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

Just to add a bit:

The CD or floppy created is inserted in the problem PC. The PC must be set to boot from whichever device you're using. If the machine is set to boot from a floppy disk first (many are), then you're good to go. If you're using the CD version, a few machines are set up to look for a bootable CD, but many aren't. This means you have to enter the BIOS (Different on some machines - most use the Delete key during bootup) and find the BOOT tab or boot options somewhere in the BIOS, and set the boot order to start with the CD, then the hard drive. After using, you would set the boot order back to what it originally was. Most BIOS have instructions to move about or change settings at the bottom of the BIOS screen. You have to exit saving changes.

Then the PC will restart - the CD, if that's what you're using, has to be in the drive so the BIOS will find it. (You could insert it while you're still in the BIOS, before you exit.)

As to burning the CD - you would need to have software capable of making a CD from an ISO. Many have this capability, but it's sometimes difficult to find. To use the ISO capability, you point the burning program to the file on your hard drive. For XP systems only, CDBurnerXP will work for this, and it's free. Use Latest Version.

Since some computers don't have a floppy drive, the CD is a necessary option. If you have the floppy drive on both computers, that would probably be the best option.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

Another option would be boot from a USB tumb drive, on computers that support booting USB devices. Just thought I would throw that in there.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

Well Folks the first post says that they can not get into Windows. How are all of these programs going to run?

Here is an article that might help and if you are going to use it please print it out for reference.

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

Also another one that might help

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=185301251

I would read both articles first and make a choice of which one to use if you wish to go this way.

Have a good day.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Well Folks the first post says that they can not get into Windows. How are all of these programs going to run?

They're obviously posting from another computer. The last few posts have been about self-booting programs that do not require the operating system to run for them to function.

#10 ruthieross

ruthieross
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:59 PM

Thank you all for the help you have given me. Still working on it. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users