Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1/3 chance of windows properly loading after logging in

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cygx

cygx

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Best way I can explain it. I'm running windows 7. So the computer boots just fine, loads into windows, brings me to the login screen. I hit the log in button, and one of three things happens:

1. Windows loads properly. I can usually tell this when I see my desktop icons refresh and a program on the start bar is running.

2. Windows loads, but the desktop icons don't refresh, and that program on the start bar doesn't load. I can't left or right click anything. Hovering my cursor over the start bar makes it a blue load circle. Ctrl alt del does nothing. Computer is essentially hung, I'm forced to hold the power button in to reset and try again.

3. I hit the log in button, and the computer gets perpetually stuck at "welcome" with the blue loading circle. WIndows never loads, and I'm forced to hold the power button in to reset and try again.

What's weird about this is that it's not consistent. Whether windows loads or not seems completely random. Also, when I do get it to work, windows runs fine all day with no errors.

It might also be worth mentioning that when I boot up the computer, I can't see what's going on until I actually get to the login screen, and then the screen shows up. This happened when I recently changed my primary display driver to a second, newer graphics card, and plugged the HDMI cable into that one instead. This doesn't really bother me...I just hit enter constantly to get past the "start windows normally" menu that I can't see when I have to reset my machine with the power button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Try disabling whatever it is running at startup as you indicate in #1.

That program may need updating or reinstalling. 

Also if this is an anti-virus or anti-malware, be sure you don't have more than one scanning at startup at once.  Any time both happen to be scanning the same file at the same time, either that file isn't going to load, or the two programs between them will use so much memory you won't have enough left for any other activity.  If you have two running, pick one and disable the startup scan on the other, and see if your problem continues.

#3 cygx

cygx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I have malwarebytes anti-malware starting up and running protection automatically along with norton, maybe that's it. I'll try disabling MBAM and update with results.

#4 cygx

cygx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Just to update...it turns out those two anti programs running together at once was exactly my problem. Haven't had the problem since I disabled MBAM on startup two days ago. Thanks!

#5 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

You're very welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users