Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't ping 1 of 2 computers from router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrsteve0924

mrsteve0924

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

this is baffling me. recently infected with zeroaccess rootkit virus which reeked havoc on my vista laptop. cleaned up most of the damage but i think something is affecting the network services.

home network set up with win 7 desktop and vista laptop. win7 connected to router via ethernet, laptop is wireless. they each show up on each other's network folder, but only the vista laptop can see the shared files on the win 7 pc. the win 7 pc cannot access any of the shared folders on vista.

i can ping any device from the vista laptop successfully but cannot ping the vista laptop from the win 7 pc or from the router.

i have tried everything to fix this...for 5 days now..i will try listing all the troubleshooting i did

disabled firewalls, only MS essentials AV running (no other security software), same workgroup names, uninstalled/reinstalled network cards, tried resetting tcp/ip stack and winsock, ensured advance firewall setting are set to allow traffic, tried connecting in safe mode, switched from wireless to ethernet connection to router, flushed dns cache, reset ip settings, some other things i am sure i forgot at this point.

anyone willing to offer some suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cparky

cparky

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

How can you ping from the router?  That doesn't make sense.  Why don't you just re-image with win7 (8 is horrible.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users