Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD Not working & I have Network adapter errors ???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi

I posted earlier that my external desktop hard drive is not working.  but just now when I was looking at the Computer Management application, I noticed that under the heading of Network Adapters that there are three Yellow Circles with Exclamation Points (!) in each one.

Would this in any way be contributing to my external hard drive not being recognised by my computer.  and would it stop my external hard drive from switching on (- LED still doesn't come on.)?

How do I fix these errors?

Im using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

thanks.

Edited by besscella, 22 August 2013 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi

Although I got no answers to this problem, I just thought you might like an update on my external hard drive problems.

Solved!

It turns out that the adapter stopped working.  I got a new adapter, plugged everything in and there it was on My Computer.  I can now access my hard drive again, Thank God!

I had brought it to a guy who knows loads about computers, and he tested my adapter and discovered that the adapter was in fact dead.  there was no voltage coming from it.  I'd also brought along my external hard drive, so he asked to see that.  Then he used the new adapter on it and it came to life.

Having said all of that, he recommended that I get two new hard drives as soon as I can, one to make a clone of my original hard drive and a seperate one to back up my info on to.

So I hope this helps somebody else.  Just thought I'd let you guys and gals know as it might save you some money, in the short term anyway.

PS.  My hard drive didn't die in the usual manner.  When I restarted my computer the drive just didn't show up.  There were no wierd sounds from the drive.  In fact there were no sounds at all from the drive, no spinning no anything.  All this meant was that there was no power going to the drive.  So the drive itself wasn't broken, just the adapter. 

The guy did say that when things start to go wrong, they will usually go wrong again, and it could be dying.  So now I have to get those external hard drives as fast as I can while I still have life in this one.  Due to finances, that might take two weeks, so in the meantime, I'm going to copy the most important data off onto DVDs & CDs while I can as a short term solution, in case the drive goes before I have a chance to get everything off.

I hope this makes things clearer and is of some help for people new to this subject.

Good Luck!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thank You for reporting back with the solution.

FWIW I always have anything important in two locations.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users