Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Disconnects&reconnects

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xxx1

xxx1

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:28 AM

my internet disconnects every 10-15mins with out fail and then re-connects i have run avg/adaware/spybot they are up todate and the scans are clean

im out of ideas any help would be appreciated, should i post a hjt.

cheers...xxx1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:42 AM

Are you using dial-up or broadband?

#3 xxx1

xxx1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:05 AM

Hi ThorXp
im using dialup

cheers...xxx1

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:13 AM

Ok since I have not used dial-up in quite some time but this should solve the problem just follow the dots as they used to say

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet.
2. Click the Connections tab, click your Dial-Up Networking connection, and then click Settings.
3. Under Dial-up Settings, click Properties.
4. Click the Dialing tab.
5. Click the Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed check box to select it.
6. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK again.

If there is a tick mark in the line 5 I would suggest getting an updated modem driver for your modem even though this one seems to be working properly

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

If your ISP is disconnecting you automatically for inactivity (such as the time you spend replying to an email), then I suggest you invest in this software. (free!) There are a number of programs that do this. It simulates online activity by linking to sites. Uses almost no resources. It's been many years since I've had dialup, but I used similar software back then.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

Noisey lines can cause you to be disconnected. Contact your TeleCo and have them run a line check.
If you are using a National ISP like Juno, AOL, Mindspring,.. try using a different connection number.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Noisey lines can cause you to be disconnected.

That, too. One of the reasons that I've found to be common is that internal house telephone lines can often be reversed polarity. It will work sometimes, other times not. I use a tester like this to find out.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

I cannot speak for most but BellSouth will replace the service box with a new box that has a dedicated DSL outlet. This was done for my father-in-law and there ran Cat5 from the box to the computer.
I have found on ADSL and Cable that a bad ground can degrade the signal. If you telco has it grounded on the same ground rod as the teleco or grounded to a water pipe this could result in current feeding back thru the POTS line.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 xxx1

xxx1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

Thankyou everyone at BC, im not sure what happened, but i went to sleep, woke up, connected to the internet, and what do you know!!! no disconnections-reconnections or anything. a whole week of playing games with me and now its behaving.........well here's hoping :thumbsup:

cheers...xxx1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users