Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on new laptop purchase?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reifenre

reifenre

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm considering the purchase of an HP Pavillion 17-e020us with 6GB memory, 750 GB HD, and a 3rd gen Intel i3 processor for $429 from Office Depot.  Seems like a good value, but my question is: would I be happy with an i3 if I will basically use the laptop for surfing internet, streaming video (Netflix), downloading music and managing I-Tunes, storing photos, and simple things like that.  I've been told that I wouldn't even notice a difference between the i3 vs an i5 or i7.  Is this true, and is this all the computer I really need? 

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

i3 to i5 there wouldnt be a huge difference, but if there is an i5 option around the same performance that is less than 75 more I would grab it just for longevity. The less hard the laptop has to work the longer it will last, and if you can get an extra year out of the laptop that is very much worth the 75 bucks.

#3 HeroicSupport

HeroicSupport

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

For your money, I would sugggest any of the following:

$388 - HP Pavilion g7-2233cl with 6GB RAM & AMD quad core A8-4500M (only upgradeable to 8GB RAM)

$468 - HP Envy dv7-7223cl with 8GB RAM & AMD quad core A8-4500M (upgradeable to 16GB RAM... big plus)

or

$548 HP Envy dv7-7227cl with 8GB RAM & AMD quad core A10 4600 

Top two are at Walmart and the second one is a Frys

Cheers,

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users