Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Iomega Select 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive appears to be totally dead.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 besscella

besscella

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi,

My Iomega Select 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive appears to be totally dead.  There is a load of information on that drive that I need to access.  And I'm hoping somebody can help me to bring my drive back to life again - but I don't want to reformat it as it will erase all of my data and that would defeat the purpose.

The LED doesn't light up.  The disk is not spinning and there are no sounds from inside the enclosure.  There were no odd sounds prior to it breaking down either.  It was working fine one day and the next day it wasn't working at all.  No warnings or nothing.

So, a couple of nights ago I was running Malware bytes, Super Antispyware and Spyware Search & Destroy all at the same time.  Each program found malware and spyware etc.  So I deleted the results as I usually do without consequence and I restarted the computer as requested.  Prior to re-starting the computer, my external hard drive was working perfectly well.

When I re-started the computer, I went to look for something on my hard drive and that was when I discovered that it was no longer showing up anywhere on my computer.  (I've carried out the above procedure loads of times in the past and never had any problems before.)  I looked in My Computer and when I couldn't see it there, I closed that application.  Then I pressed the start button, right-clicked on My Computer and clicked Manage. 

The external hard drive is not showing up in Disk Manager nor in Device Manager (as far as I can tell - not too sure about device manager actually.)

I tried changing the usb to a different usb port but it made no difference.

So I posted this problem in Yahoo Answers and somebody there suggested that the power plug might be the problem and not the drive.  So I thought that if I changed the fuse in the plug, then that might bring my external hard drive back to life.  So I tried that, but the hard drive still appears to be dead.  Still no LED light and no sounds from the enclosure either.

Here are the technical details that I have for my External Drive for your convenience:

Iomega Select Desktop External Hard drive 1TB
2.0 USB Hi-Speed
P/N 31803900
Model - GDHDU
S/N THBA02BJ86
Input rating - 12v = 1.5A (1,5A)

I haven't opened the original enclosure so I don't know what's written on the hard drive itself.  The enclosure seems to be designed to be broken open and never used again.  I wanted to see what else I can do before I have to take that step.

I'm not sure if the drive is an ATA or SATA or what kind of a drive it is.  I also don't know the size of the drive, whether it's a 2.5" or a 3" or whatever and have no idea how to find out that information.

I am using Windows XP (probably the home edition).

I'm new to all of this, so any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Help me bring my drive back to life with data intact. Thanks.

Sharon.

Edited by besscella, 22 August 2013 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Any voltage out of your power adapter?  If not:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-31803900-External-replacement-adaptor/dp/B008635760

I would try that first as it seems you have no power.  You can also get any number of generic power bricks that would work.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi

thanks for answering.

I'm new to all of this.  So how would I find out if there was any voltage out of my adapter?

Thanks.

#4 besscella

besscella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi

I just thought you might like an update on my external hard drive problems.

Solved!

It turns out that the adapter stopped working.  I got a new adapter, plugged everything in and there it was on My Computer.  I can now access my hard drive again, Thank God!

I had brought it to a guy who knows loads about computers, and he tested my adapter and discovered that the adapter was in fact dead.  There was no voltage coming from it.  I'd also brought along my external hard drive, so he asked to see that.  Then he used the new adapter on it and it came to life.

Having said all of that, he recommended that I get two new hard drives as soon as I can, one to make a clone of my original hard drive and a seperate one to back up my info on to.

So I hope this helps somebody else.  Just thought I'd let you guys and gals know as it might save you some money, in the short term anyway.

PS.  My hard drive didn't die in the usual manner.  When I restarted my computer the drive just didn't show up.  There were no wierd sounds from the drive.  In fact there were no sounds at all from the drive, no spinning no anything.  All this meant was that there was no power going to the drive.  So the drive itself wasn't broken, just the adapter. 

The guy did say that when things start to go wrong, they will usually go wrong again, and it could be dying.  So now I have to get those external hard drives as fast as I can while I still have life in this one.  Due to finances, that might take two weeks, so in the meantime, I'm going to copy the most important data off onto DVDs & CDs while I can as a short term solution, in case the drive goes before I have a chance to get everything off.

I hope this makes things clearer to the newbies looking for help and is of some help for people new to this subject.

Thanks dpunisher, for taking the time to answer my query.  I appreciate it.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users